• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jalapenos.......

Doop

Hello,

I planted jalapenos, habaneros, chile peppers and some other kind of pepper. How do you know when the jalapenos are ready to be picked...same with habaneros?

Right now my jalapenos are turning red....I thought they stayed green?

Pick Jalapenos anytime any size,your red are ripe,pick now!I pick Green when there bout 1&1/4" or larger same with habs they'll turn orange!Man I dont even touch those anymore grew them once and where they come out still burns!!! tongue.gif Anahime chiles pick when 8-9"or maybe larger wink.gifI have 2 quarts of Jal.curin today to pickle tomorrow.Instead of Habs. try serranos next year there hot and tasty! cool.gifPS look for dark green to purple spots on the Jalapinos.pick for sure then but the reds are OK too.

The longer they stay on the plant, the more mature they get and they turn color accordingly. As a rule, the longer they are on the vine, the more careful you need to be with the seeds. It's not a bad idea to wear latex gloves when you wack them. Consider what a good onion does to your eyes and multiply it by lots if you were to clean a hot pepper and perhaps wipe your hand anywhere near your eye or take a leak while you still have the stuff on your hands. Just sayin'.