• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying a canoe ?

For you veteran canoers. Looking to buy a canoe for fishing small rivers. Mostly by myself, but occasionally one more person. What would you suggest for length, and aluminum vs fiberglass vs kevlar. Thanks in advance for the info. Mike

In order to get two people you will need a tandem. SO try to stay at the 16ft or under too keep the package compact for solo use. Make sure you find one that is comfortable to paddle when you are facing backwards from the front seat. Thats the easiest way to use a tandem canoe solo. Some will argue that you can place weight in the front and paddle form the stern seat like normal, but the front still sticks up too high and will weather-vane in the wind.

For occasional use and since you will be in some rivers, I would go with royalex or one of the poly boats. They are heavier, but they are more durable.

Mad River, Old Town and also the custom fishing canoes are nice. They can be had for a couple hundred up to $1000 depending on features.

REI is having a FREE boat demo on Lake Johanna in Arden Hills on July 28th. You can test paddle any of the canoes and kayaks that they have for free. You can see many boats and discover alot about the features you do and don't like. I owuld bring a fishing rod and maybe a heavy backpack to help you get an idea of what its like to paddle with weight in it and also how it feels while casting.