• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

got my canoe today!

i got a penobscot old town 16' today it was a scratch and dent speacial for 800$ pretty good find .... 1300 original price. wondering if anyone has the same canoe ... how has it been to paddle and portage?

I have that canoe and really like it. Much nicer than aluminum for portaging yet it's not kevlar either. The biggest issue I have with it is Old Town advertises the canoe for 58 lbs and it actually weights 64 lbs. That's off by more than 10% which is false advertising. I think yours will weigh the same.

It looks like the only options are wood gunwales so that could add the extra weight. Their site doesn't list a separate weight if that is added. I don't think it would add 5lbs though.

Adding a yoke to it might change it too.

I have the 17. Its been all over the BW and Quetico. The only boat I've used and liked more is the Souris River Quetico 17. A penobscot 16 wont let you down. There's a reason a lot of Outfitters rent them.