• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suzuki Mini: ATV2 or ORV?

snapcrackpop

[image]100_1041.jpg[/image]

[image]100_1042.jpg[/image]

About 1500 lb vehicle with 660cc.

ATV2 or ORV? What's the advantages and disadvantages of one classification vs the other?

It gets about 60MPG and is 2WD with 4WD and locking diff option.

Looking to get one for hunting and commuting. And anybody else have one?

it would depend on the licensing. I don't see any reason why they couldn't be licensed as a regular car or truck, but they could also fall into the same category as an OHV or even a Class 2 ATV if you wanted to license it that way. I noticed one at the end of a driveway in Le Sueur that was set up with ATV tires.

You say commuting? What kind of commuting and what kind of roads? Neither an ATV2 or OHV can be operated on interstates or even state highways. County roads and such are handled locally, but unless it can be street legal otherwise I can't see how its legal for any kind of regular road driving.

After searching through the MN state statutes it looks like they are only legal for operation on the shoulder or in the right-of-way of county roads, no state hiways or interstates.

I couldn't find any direct laws pertaining to mini-trucks in MN, but in Iowa they ahve laws directly banning them as not street legal in the US. There may be some federal laws about it.

So, there is no real difference between ATV2 and OHV in that their access is the same. You probably have more abilities as an ATV2.

For searching the statutes you need keywords of "class 2 all-terrain vehicle" and "off-highway vehicle". You need the hyphen or they don't come up.

I believe this is off of page 27 of the ATV/OHV regualtions in the DNR HSOforum.

NOTE: Class 2 ATV's are allowed on the right shoulder of state trunk highways. But also take note that local governemts i.e. city, township, and county branches of governemtns may impose their own set of ordinances prohbiting the use of ATV's within the public road right of way.

New! Class 2 All-terrain Vehicles

Beginning December 12, 2006, all-terrain vehicles 900 to 1,500

pounds must be registered as a Class 2 all-terrain vehicle. The

following regulations apply specifically to Class 2 vehicles:

•A person needs to be 15 years or older to operate a Class 2

ATV.

•An operator of a Class 2 ATV may carry two passengers.

•Operation of a Class 2 ATV is limited to:

-state forest roads

-shoulder or extreme right side of county roads and state

trunk highways with a valid driver’s license

-designated Class 2 trails (As of this time, no trails

have yet been specifically designated as Class 2 trails.)

•Class 2 registration will take place at the time of new or next

renewal, transfer, or duplicate registration. Class 1 or Class

2 will be indicated on the owner’s ATV registration card and

decal. Registration fees for Class 1 and Class 2 are the same.

•ATVs that were previously registered as ORVs will now be

registered as Class 2 ATVs.

Also listed in the regs page 5:

"ORVs are motorized, recreational vehicles capable of cross-country travel on natural terrain, such as fourwheel-drive trucks and ATVs over 900 pounds."

Page 9:

"ORV Recreational and Highway Use Registration. Many ORVs are licensed for highway use. An ORV licensed for highway use that is also operated in designated public ORV use areas or trails, must have both the regular vehicle license and DNR ORV registration."

What is the difference between ATV2 and ORV other than the weight, motor cc and ability to have 2 passengers?

Is an ORV a Jeep? 4X4 trial riding...ect?

My commuting would be fairly rural.

What roads can't an ORV or ATV2 go on other than the interstate?

The seller told me it "can go on any roads except interstates"...? so I am checking that out (here).

And what is a "state trunk highway"?

Trying to get answers to potential problems before buying.

Thanks for your thoughts on it...

ORV would be the term that would pertain to the Suzuki. This would include jeeps and the like. There are specific requirements as I'm sure you've seen for registration.

State Trunk Highways would be State HWY 95 that runs through Princeton, State HWY 23 that runs near St Cloud, State HWY 60 that runs through faribault. All of these are 2 lane highways. I think that once you get into the 4-lane divided highways such as portions of 169 south of Mille Lacs might be a different story.

Not to say that there isn't great information here, but the best answer to your question can only be answered by the license bureau.

You pointed out the regs for an OHV. OHV registration is used for having a vehicle to operate in the OHV area in Hibbing and to be classified as an OHV for forest road use ETC where OHV's are allowed, but not everyday vehicles. OHV is a DNR registration much like a boat, ATV or snowmobile license. It is not a registration for on-road operation.

After reading some more it appears to me that you can't choose between ATV2 and OHV. If your Mini is not street legal than you must license it as an ATV2. You can license a vehicle as an OHV if you mean to trailer it everywhere similar to off-road 4x4's that people use for OFF ROAD ONLY.

The only way to know for sure is to call or go see the people who license the vehicles. If its not street legal than its only legal on shoulders of roads not in the lane.

I know its possible to have both since a Jeep or F150 can have an OHV sticker, but a non street-lagal jeep cannot operate on the highway with just an OHV sticker.

OHV registration is similar to having a snowmobile or ATV licensing. It is not for a street legal vehicle as its main form of registration.

When I posted this subject I also emailed the DNR. They replied today:

It's a Class 2 ATV. Class 2 ATVs may be operated on the shoulder or extreme right side of the roadway.

Public use registration allows for the operation of Class 2 ATVs on the shoulder or extreme right side of county roads and state trunk highways and on the right side of township roads and city streets, if not prohibited by the road authority or other local laws.

If you look at a Minnesota Highway Map, trunk highways are designated with either a white square or white shield with the highway number on the inside.

Thanks for the help guys.

Wanted to ask some questions and not just take the sellers "say so", but it looks like he was right. Great! grin.gif