• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Tip-ups

Steve Foss

I use the 10-inch round orange Frabill tip-ups, the ones that cover the hole and are insulated with Syrofoam. They've got hard plastic flags so the wind doesn't give me false flags, and they come with a little compartment that holds extra sinkers and quick-strike rigs.

They stack up really nice in a 5-gallon bucket, if you're into those, and lay nice and flat in a Tupperware container, which is how I store them.

Nice that those holes never freeze over with the insulated tip-ups.

They run about $20, which puts them about mid-way between the cheaper $13.99 Polar tips and the really pricy fancy ones that go for $35 and up.

Of course, you can pay real money for the ones that run on a battery, page you when you get a bite, and jig every now and then to keep your bait moving.

------------------
Steve ([email protected])

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 10-31-2002).]

I picked up a couple of those Frabill tip-ups towards the end of the season a couple years ago. I've owned alot of tip-ups and these are by far the best I've used. I have never had a hole freeze over and I like the way they stack in a bucket. I currently only have two, but I imagine I could get at least 4 possibly 5 in one bucket and still put a lid on it so it could be used to sit on. Definitely worth the money.
If you can wait until the end of the season you can find them for about 50% off.

A buddy of mine tried those Frabill tip-ups,
had one heck of a time trying to find them under 11/2ft drifts.Plus the reels are too small,had a laker strip the complete spool as we watched Never Stopped.The traps they make in Maine are the best around.

------------------

Speaking of tip-ups...has anyone tried on the of the HT Windlass Tip-ups. They are rigged to harness the wind and jig the bait. The jig action would be nice, but the pictures I saw makes it look like the spool sits above the water line -- always a recipe for freeze ups and hassles. Any body have any experience?

Yup, the Frabill spools definitely are smaller than the Polars, for example. That makes it easier to wind on line when you're setting them up, but could definitely be a problem if you don't notice the flag for awhile and can't get to it in time for a long-running fish over deep water.

Never done tip-ups for lakers, but have run four tip-ups at a time for pike/walleyes with the Frabills, and have never been spooled, even when the action's hot and I have to take care of one fish before running to the next flag.

I shovel away the snow around the hole and knock down any snow right near the hole in a line between where I'm stitting and where the tip-ups are, so seeing them's not a problem.

That being said, there are tons of tip-ups, and what works for one won't necessarily work for others. grin.gif

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 10-31-2002).]

Spike , Yea , I've fished those windlass tip ups for the last 5+ years. ONCE you get them figured out they can put a lot of fish on the ice over a regular tip up. On one occasion a few winters ago two Windlass tip ups put 13 Walleyes on the ice while 4 regular tip ups only accounted for one.
They do have thier limitations though ( extreme cold )and for sure they are'nt the ticket day in/day out but I usualy put one out when conditions permit just to see how the fish respond.
I rigged up some wooden hole covers that allow just enough room for wine bottle cork with a soda straw though the middle of it to fit in. Surely your scratchin your head after that so I'll elaborate a bit ! LOL

You take a wine bottle cork or cork of that size + or - and run a straw through the middle of it. Cut the straw to about 5 - 6 inches or so.The bigger diameter straws like you get from Ronnies steak house (McDonalds) work best. You run your windlass line through the straw/cork deal then tie on your hook/jigging spoon whatever. The cork/straw deal is only a guide for your line nothing more or less. Set your depth , bait up , place the cover over the hole and on real cold days I add a bit of RV antifreeze
( biodegradable )inside the straw. The antifreeze keeps your line from freezing up and the hole cover keeps your hole from freezing up. I use the vinyl coated line as braided or teflon coated line will soak up or retain enough water and freeze up solid. Works like a champ it does.

Small jiggin spoons like Hawger spoons , Swim jigs and the like work well. I was'nt too fond of the single hooks on some jigs so what I did was cut the hook off then pull the shank of the remander of the hook completely out of the lure body. I then thread my mono leader through the jig body and tie on a size 10 or whatever trebble hook. A LOT more hook ups going that route.

Anyways , These things ( Windlasses ) [PoorWordUsage]ed me off more than once during the early days when I was trying to figure em out but once you get em figured out they CAN be absolute killers ! DEFFINATELY worth your time and effort though I think.

My regular tip up choice is the Beaver Dam ( Arctic fisherman ) Not quite as smooth as the Polars but plenty good enough.Tougher than nails they are and can take a beating. I've got a few Beaver Dams that are pushin 30 years old I still fish with. Of course I've replaced the spindle assemblies a couple times over the years but for $2.50 a spindle it's no big deal. I live about 40 miles from thier factory so I just run up there for replacements but you can do an exchange by mail too.
I also made insulated hole covers for these too and have fished in sub zero weather all day/night without once having to skim holes.

Their is a ice fishing devise call a "Finicky's Fish Factory" that has been in the market for the last three years that I know of. It is an enclosed unit, protected from the elements, that comes with a heating unit (only for the tip-up enclosure), has auto-jigging, a flag and indicator light for night-time use. The heating unit is run on flammable liquid, while the jigging and light are powered by "D" size battery(s). Has anyone seen this unit being used, or better yet has one? I'm always interested in having a unique way of passing the time on the slow days and hopefully turning it into a productive time spent. It's been listed at a price of around $95.00. Take a look at their site towards the bottom of their page for a company explanation. www.fish-factory.com George in Throop, PA

I have used several different types of tip-ups, but I ran into one last season that I think is just great. It is called "Warrior" and runs about $15 bucks. I bought it at Fleet in Bemidji. What I like about it is that you use your own ice rod and reel on the set up. When the flag runs up, you can just pick up your rod and fight the fish instead of hand over hand. I can tell you that it is really something to handle the big northerns. I have a short stout ice rig with an Ambassadeur reel that works great. I am going to pick up another one this year. Sure beats the others.

What are the best tip-ups for the buck? I currently use the old wooden and plastic fusherman tip-ups, but on windy days I get alot of wind flags. I am looking to upgrade and was wondering what you thought. Thanks.

George , Have messed with the fish factories some last winter. A bit of overkill if you ask me but for sure , your hole won't freeze over ! LOL
Kinda bulky to be carrying around but if you like to putz around with stuff you'll like this unit. If you want to try one out call the manufacturer and ask about factory seconds. These units have minor blemishes = so what and work just fine.
Cost me $50 for a unit.

Spike, I have used the HT's (windless) for a few years and last year bought a couple of MR.Tip-Up brand. The difference is they are a little larger and are made out of hardwoods.I believe mine are walnut. They do not blow over when the wind gust and also have some bells and whistles such as a storage compartment and a light for night strike indicator. Built like the Artic very heavy duty. Look like they will last for years.They even come with a nylon storage bag.
Good fishing!
Sturge

last year i found a good reliable tip-up. it is made by HT it's called the polar pop-up. it has a magnet that releases the flag and a big spool that goes into the water. it sticks up about a foot and a half above the ice with a tripod. works slick took it out to the pond and got several piggy eyes.

------------------
_ _ _________________ _ _
---<>< >')/////////><