• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's Gar time!

Here in Minnesota we are on the far northern fringe of the range for the Longnose Gar. SO the best time to target them is the heat of the Summer, which is right now and will continue for a few weeks. I have been having some success on the Croix lately, night-fishing with live baitfish. Anyone else target these awesome fish?

here's a 45" Longnose Gar I landed Friday night. ~hogsucker longnose_gar1.jpg

I have been storing up some free time with the family. I plan to get out soon for night fishing. Flathead are on the top of the list, followed closely by gar. Almost had my first two weeks back, but not able to hook up. What is your prefered bait/technique? Are you flyfishing for any of these?

Quote:

I have been storing up some free time with the family. I plan to get out soon for night fishing. Flathead are on the top of the list, followed closely by gar. Almost had my first two weeks back, but not able to hook up. What is your prefered bait/technique? Are you flyfishing for any of these?

I've heard of people fishing with flies/lures with rope on them so if the hooks don't get them they get their teeth stuck in the rope.

Eric, I know you from my HSOforum but here's some info just for kicks.............

I fish for Longnose Gar during the heat of the Summer. Live baits are the way to go. I have been using 4-6 inch suckers and shiners. I only find them after dark, like 10 to 1, on sand flats on the lower St. Croix River. Patience is indeed a virtue when it comes to longnose gar fishing in Minnesota. Check the site for more info. ~hogsucker

First off nice fish! I havent targeted gar in many years, I will catch one here and there with live bait. When I did go out to target them, I would take a ten inch piece of rope, tie it to my line, and shred the rope, cast the rope out and they would attack that rope, and twist and turn, they were a blast to catch. They would get the rope caught in their teeth. The only down side of this was trying to get the fish released from the rope, it took abit. If you have a location with lots of gar give it a try, you hook almost everyone, instead of just a few.

Got a bunch bowfishing on Friday, perfect weather for it. They were rolling on the surface. Eating a cold Gar sandwich right now. Can't believe how much they taste like chicken breast cold. Got a batch in the smoker too.