• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camp Ripley 2007 Bowhunt

I hunted Ripley many years ago, probably 30 or so. We had a good time but there were just to many people for me. I like to hunt in somewhat remote areas where no one can mess up my hunt.

This could have also changed from 30 years ago. Good luck and have a good hunt. Sometimes it all what you make of it.

I hear you on the hunting alone thing. I have an area near my home I hunt and see no one all day long. A buddy has talked me into signing up and from stories I've heard just a little bit leary. Who knows maybe with 2500 people in the woods at least they will get them moving. If I'm lucky enough to get drawn I will make the best out of it and also would look forward to hunting different terrain. I have heard a lot of rolling hills, rivines. Where I hunt near home the area is very thick especially early bow season.

Soooooo many people. Sooooo many deer.

You can and will see deer every hour almost where ever you sit. I like to hunt around Gettysburg mountain/hill area. You will be amazed at the number of hunters - but you will also be amazed at the number of very large bucks taken.

The turkeys will keep you awake in your stand - they are every where.

The line to get in is well......funny. First time, you should go camp out in line - can be alot of fun; however, I rather sleep in - get there just after day break - find a little spot and sit til after lunch (hunters walking in for lunch move the deer pretty well).

I have been there the past two years. It is true there are many people there. I would say 80% hunt close to the road. If you are willing to go the extra mile go out and do some exploring. If it is your first time going there you should scout the first day and hunt the second. When you hunt, sit all day long. People are constantly moving all day and pushing deer. I highly suggest getting the Camp Ripley map and zero in on some spots there. The North side is hills/ravines and the South side is flat with swamps and fields. If you want to take a doe sit on the edge of these fields before sunset and they will be there. I remember the first time I went I was in the back of the line and one of the last ones in. I turned on Lake Alott rd. and this huge double drop tine buck ran right in front of my truck and into the no hunting area. That got the ticker going. A fun part about being there is watching people register their deer after the hunt. There are some pigs. If you want a shot at a trophy Camp Ripley is the place to be.

Quote:

Is there camping anywhere close by?

There are some camp sites close by. Most people who stay/spend the night do so in "line". It can be a nice little party out there. I think the line could be miles - all hunters and plenty of refreshments.