• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How long should I wait after Round Up?

Moose-Hunter

Howdy All...

In an attempt to reclaim my backyard, about a week ago, it got it's first taste of Killz All and Round Up. The weeds and what's left of the grass is now a nice shade of yellowish green and fading more and more each day. With a small portion of the original application in a crispy brown state. grin.gif

1) How do I know when all the "grass" has met it's demise?

2) How long should I wait to do my scraping to remove the dead stuff?

3) What should I do to prep for either sod or seed and when should I apply either?

I would say that within 2 weeks you can do your scraping. Once the ground has been scraped I would wait a week or two and spray again. This will kill any weed seeds that germinate in their new found sunshine. Once those have been zapped then I would say you would be safe to do any top dressing and grading to prepare for sod or seed.

I would get a "starter" fertilizer for the soil and make sure you have the ability to keep the area moist daily for at least 2-4weeks. If you don't have a way to water regularly then you shouldn't do any planting until mid to late August. I probably wouldn't recommend trying to grow anything right now. Even with sprinklers its hard to keep established lawns healthy right now.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the info!!! I'll let the chemicals work a little longer and begin clearing sometime next week. After the first scrape, the lil' nasties will get a second dose of the killer cocktail. And plan for sod sometime in mid August.

More time to save a few sheckles for sod. Less impact on fishing time. A win-win!!!

THANKS!!!! cool.gif

I hear ya. I would love to do the same to my lawn. Its so bumpy and I know there are some poorly ground stumps buried under little soil. I spent most of the evening tuning my sprinkler system. fun fun frown.gif

Quote:

I hear ya. I would love to do the same to my lawn. Its so bumpy and I know there are some poorly ground stumps buried under little soil. I spent most of the evening tuning my sprinkler system. fun fun
frown.gif

I'm with you Powerstroke. The only time of the summer I get to work on my own yard, is when it's dry at all the other yards, basically the worst time of year to work on your yard.

I need to totally redo my own yard, but it'll be a year or two yet.

Thae hard part is I'm starting to get tired of my half acre. Its kind of a handful for a firsttime homeowner. I would love to renovate it, but its so large I don't want to do it in sections. I'm afraid it will look like sections when its completed.

Quote:

Thae hard part is I'm starting to get tired of my half acre. Its kind of a handful for a firsttime homeowner. I would love to renovate it, but its so large I don't want to do it in sections. I'm afraid it will look like sections when its completed.

Yeah, I actually have over 2 acres of just turf (own 16.5 acres between my property and the house next door that we rent out).

I could do it in sections, which is what we'll probably end up doing, since I don't know if I want to sink the $4-6k into the sprinkler at one time, plus the time to fill in all the holes, topdress and reseed the entire yard.

I'm VERY seriously of thinking of putting in about 3-4" of new dirt, then sodding the whole thing, now that we've gotten rid of about 60 trees on this 2 acres since my parents moved in 30 years ago.

The grass will actually get sunlight now.

Well... the chemicals did the job quite well. The Round up and Killz took care of EVERYTHING!! All My back yard is so dead/dry now that I'm a bit concerned with it being a fire hazard. I have yet to start the full scale reclaiming of my yard, however on the spots I "played" with, the old turf is coming up in dried "sheets"... grin.gif

The scraping/filling will begin in a week or so after this heat wave passes...

So does anyone know where I can find 50 to 100 yards of relatively clean fill close to Cologne? confused.gif I can move it and possibly load it as well... If you have lines on a pile of dirt, drop me a note... [YouNeedAuthorization] at yahoo