• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help/advice for my PS2

so haaad

Is this one of the older larger PS2 or the newer slim PS2s? Does it read CDs? There are two separate lasers; 1 for DVD and 1 for CD.

The first thing you can do is take it apart and clean the lenses. See: http://www.gamingworldx.com/features/PlayStation2DiscReadErrorDRERepairGuide.shtml

If cleaning the lens doesn't fix it, there is another way you can adjust the laser, but it's tricky to do and is kind of a last ditch effort. There are a couple screws you can adjust inside that change the voltage of the lasers, and sometimes increasing the voltage can make it work again, but it's also easy to burn out the laser completely. I don't have a page to refer you to, but you should be able to find instructions on how to do it if you want to try it.

What you could do is try the cleaning method, and if that doesn't work you used to be able to sell broken PS2's on hsolist for 20-30 bucks, depending on the problems. I don't know if people still buy them or how much they are paying for them now, but you can't buy parts for the PS2s direct from Sony, so people buy used/broken ones for parts.

The only other option is to send it to Sony and have them fix it, but you might as well buy a new one if you are going to do that...

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply gus. Lotsofish, I called Sony and it would cost a solid $60+ bucks to fix when you figure in shipping costs. So yes, it would be better to just buy a new unit if that's the case. I have the old (not slim) version of the PS2. I'll try your methods to see if I can re-adjust the lazer. Thanks again.