• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leaving for the BWCA

I thought I'd let folks know I'll be leaving for the BWCA tomorrow morning. We are heading up the Gunflint to Brant Lake, EP #52. This is right near the start of the Ham Lake Fire. We are heading to Gabimichigami, Ogish, Kek, down to Boulder and Adams and coming back through Kivania, Makwa, Little Sag and Tuscarora. Its some the bigger and more popular lakes down to probably the most remote portion of the BWCA.

It should be a challenge with temps forcasted in the low 90's for a couple days. Everything is packed and its all about a good nights rest.

We've got a brand new Souris River Q17 in the Red tiger Kevlar (had to tie it in to the canoe forum). I've had it out on some local lakes, but I can't wait for the B-dubs. Last year I caught a 42" northern on our trip so we'll see if I can keep up the good luck.

See you all on the 30th.

Just got back and took lots of pics for you. Got some of the new boat and a few good fish pics. Everything went great. I'll have more once I sort out all the files and get the ones for the HSOforum.

Fishing was decent. The weather kept the fish a little slow, but we caught quite a few and only one made it to the pan. Here are some pics of the new boat, A Souris River Quetico17. Very nice and lightweight. Tracks well and handled white caps breaking over the sides on Gabimichigami.

Caught a 19" lake trout trolling (sorry about the topless pic) so we went back out and caught several more trolling fat raps and large shad raps. Caught many smallmouth bass but no pics of those and here is a picture of my 34" northern on the last day. Released without a weight taken, but I figure 12-15lbs. The other kevlar is the same boat in regular kevlar and a pic of me asleep on a rock after a hard days paddling. Notice the water all around me. Furtunately I'm a sound sleeper.

BWCA2007021.jpgBWCA2007034.jpgBWCA2007016.jpgBWCA2007042.jpgBWCA2007066.jpg

That pick was taken on French Lake which is south of Ogishkemuncie Lake. It is in the Cavity Lake Fire area of last summer. Our campsite was still green but there was burn on both sides of us. That area was devastated by the fire. Almost nothing remained there. Very little had started growing this year. The Ham Lake Fire of this year wasn't nearly that bad.