• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Prop pitch for 2007 Lund Explorer Sport - 115 Merc 4-S

Down Deep

I have a new 1700 Lund Explorer Sport with a 115 Merc four stroke. What is the proper pitch prop for this rig? It came with a 19 aluminum Merc prop and was a dog out of the hole and only got up to 33 MPH WOT. The dealer gave me a 17 to try and it is alot better out of the hole and runs about 40 MPH WOT, but I still don't think it is delivering the hole shot that I should get. If I go to a 16 or 15 wil that kill my top end? The dealer has offered to give me another prop, but I thought I would check with the experts here.

Thanks

I am no expert, but I have another brand of boat that is very similiar in size to yours with a 115 Merc Opti. I went from the 19 pitch it came with to a 17 pitch aluminum and my hole shot was much better. I did lose about 3 to 5 MPH (GPS) on the top end, but that wasn't my main concern. I also am able to troll slower with the smaller pitched prop. I have not tried a 15 or 16 because I am right at my max RPM's on the top end now. It is all about your max RPM's, which for me is around 5500. Check your manual and see where your RPM's are at with the 17 pitch prop.

I run a 2004 17' Explorer SS with a 115 yamaha 4 stroke and the best prop I have found is a 13 1/4 by 19 stainless. I think mine is a Balistic. I have good hole shot and top out at 43 mph at 5800rpm.

I got mine from Jay Soderbloom for a very good price. I would call him and check one out. Jay has a lot of knowledge about props so give him a call and he will recomend a prop for your rig. He is a sponsor of FM as well. www.soderbloom.com

Thanks for the replys. I neglected to record the RPM's, and I can't say for sure what WOT reading was. I'm taking the grandkids out on Friday and I'll record the tach readings. I'll also call Soderblooms.

Im guessing you wont want to go less than 16. Make sure you have as much weight in the back of your boat. The explorers have a lot of weight in front with gas tank centered, 2 batteries up by the live well and the livewell and storage all in front. I keep tackle bxes, coolers, anchors etc. all as far back as possible. It makes a big difference.

Also the number of people in the boat is huge. If you usually only run with 2 people in the boat test the new prop with 2 people in the boat. If you usually run with 3 people test it with 3 in the boat.

I have several props you can try if ya like. Just e-mail me and you can run them some day.