• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motor on Pro-V

Lund4Fish

I'm considering adding an electric trolling motor to the transom of my 1900 Pro-V. I've got a 200 HP Verado for my main motor and don't realy want to add the additional weight of a gas kicker. I was thinking about going with one of the Minn-Kota, Vectra with the 3X steering. One thing I haven't quite figured out though is where to put the 2nd battery? I want to go with a 24 volt system and I've only got 1 empty battery slot left up front under the rod locker, so I'm not sure where to install the 2nd battery? Anyone else have a similar boat and situation? Any feedback on that particular trolling motor set up for the transom?

I don't recall off hand how the stern trolling motor plug is wired - are there two sets of wires coming from the rear of the boat, or from the plug in itself (if you can get to the back side of it), one red, one orange, one black & one black w/blue stripe?

If so, you could hook up the rear set of wires and make 24 volts at the plug and use the same trolling motor batteries as your front trolling motor.

marine_man

I have the Vector 3x (80#/24V) on my Ranger tiller and so far I really like it. I takes a little bit of time to get used to the 3x steering since it responds 3x faster than a regular transom trolling motor, but after a while it is really nice to not have to turn as much to get the same change in direction. I don't think I've had to run it over '5' on the speed unless I need to make a big move fast, it has plenty of power.

Marine Man

It looks like I'm already wired for a trolling motor in the transom area, I've got a 3 prong plug-in back there with the wiring you mentioned above. The wiring heads towards the front in behind the side trim panels of the boat (I assume it ends up in the tubes that run into the battery compartment) but I haven't been able to find out where it comes out at? I'm thinking it may have slipped back down the tubing? I was originally thinking that I should run 2 separate batteries for that trolling motor, but your idea about running off the 2 existing batteries for the bow mount makes sense. Chances are I wouldn't be running both at the same time anyway.

Your wires should be in the battery compartment for the rear trolling motor.. that's about the only spot they run to.

You might have pull out your current battery to find them - but they should be in the front battery compartment and no where else...

marine_man

Lund4Fish: I run a 1992 1775 Lund Pro-V with a 24 volt system using only two batteries. Although my Pro-V is a few hundred pounds lighter than yours, loaded, it weighs 2100. I give you this info because, depending on how much wind I've had to fight, my batteries have lasted 3-1/2 days without a problem. Good Luck

Found the wires stuffed back a ways in one of the tubes coming into the front battery compartment. Thanks for the feedback and tips. Looks like I'll run them both off the front batteries then.