• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip-Ups vs. Jigging

I've never noticed it made much difference no matter what the time of ice season. Just use what color you're confident in and have a blast. I switch around lures and colors a lot and let the fish decide, but I'm never sure if it's color or lure switch, or if a fish just happens to swim by at that minute.

fishstunner,
I always start with a spoon with flash/bright color. Most pike at early ice are pretty active and if you drop down a shiny spoon tipped with a minnow be ready for some action. Last year during early ice I was using a shiny red jigging spoon tipped with a fathead minnow. Caught about a dozen pike and a bonus three pound largemouth bass. The key to early ice fishing isn't as much as what you use but where you fish. Find the right structure and fish will bite a plain hook and minnow.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Matt:

Early ice, I'm generally looking for live cabbage, either pockets in the cabbage in 6-7 feet of water or the deep edge around 8-10 feet. That your experience, or have you found something better?

------------------
Steve ([email protected])

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 10-20-2002).]

My normal plan when I have pike on the mind and panfish aren't doing it for me:

I like to start off jigging for panfish near a weed bed during early ice (4 to 10 feet). If I'm catching decent size gills or crappies I'll stick with panfish. But if all I'm catching is smaller gills and perch then I'll get out the pike gear. I'll move off the school of small fish towards deep water and fish the edge of the weed bed. I'll place a tip-up right off the edge and then I'll punch holes in a "U" around the weed bed with the bottom of the "U" facing towards deeper water. I'll jig those holes with a spoon tipped with a minnow. Most often then not I'll catch fish out of the holes closer to deep water because the pike like to come in and ambush the smaller panfish. And by me jigging near deep water the pike will notice the spoon and come over and strike. A lot of the times the tip-up will be the first hole to produce a pike because it is located near the entry way of the pike, right on the edge. And in most occations the first pike off the tip-up will be the biggest. If all I'm catching is small pike I'll head out into deeper water and look for any rock piles or deep underwater points that start shallow and extend deep. A lot of my friends that I fish with always laugh at me when I go out and jig for pike in 25 feet of water, but they are quick to shutup once I walk back with that 10 pounder and they're still catching those 2 pounders. I'm the kinda person that will fish for those one or two big fish instead of a bunch of smaller ones.

Last year this method worked the best for me and my two biggest pike came off of this approach. Really its all hit or miss when fishing for big pike but I like to have somewhat of a plan when I head out there during early ice. Midwinter and late ice are different but these are my ealry ice tactics.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Hey Guys thanks for the tips.
Now I have a general idea were in going to start, what im going to use, and what im going to do.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

Sounds like you've got a good plan that's produced well for you. Dovetails with my starting point too, mostly. Except I like to get the tip-ups out right away and concentrate on pike, drill a few extra holes, jig a big, sit back on the Trap and watch the Ravens play around with my dead baitfish. I'm generally after pike during the day and walleyes at twilight. Nice to pull in the big pike when your buddies are struggling with the hammerhandles, isn't it? cool.gif Last couple winters have shown little enough snow that some cabbage has remained green through the whole winter. March two years ago we fished pannies on a clear lake where our cabin is near Bemidji. Not only was it like a skating rink, there was green cabbage all over the place. I like it like that!

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 10-20-2002).]

stfcatfish,

Oh yeah, I forgot about cabbage. If you can find healthy cabbage during early ice fish it like crazy. Big pike like to relate to cabbage because it is a great source of camoflouge for ambush. Good point!

You fish near the Twin Cities a lot? I'd be willing to exchange some tips with you and do some fishing if your ever around. I can take you to some good lakes for crappies, gills, or pike. Just let me know.

([email protected])

Good Fishin, Matt.

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 10-20-2002).]

Matt:

No Twin Cities for me much. My wife's got rellies there, but I pretty much stick to NW Wisconsin and northern Minnesota. If I'm coming down with the better half this winter to visit rellies and want to get out of their hair (get them out of mine), I could let you know.

Otherwise, if you're planning a trip north, let me know.

------------------

stfcatfish,

I have relatives up near in Duluth and I always take a few trips up near Duluth/Superior area to do some ice fishing. Are located anywhere near there? Last year I met a really nice guy that showed my dad and I a few hot spots for crappies that produced well. I'm most likely gonna try them out again this year.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Matt:

I live in Superior, so fish Wisconsin as a resident. We have a cabin near Bemidji, so I've always got a Minnesota license too. Moved to Superior from Grand Forks, N.D., a bit over a year ago, and spent last winter ice fishing really pretty and clear NW Wisconsin lakes and some inlets on the St. Louis River. On the river, either license works. There are a couple inlets that produce nice perch and crappies, particularly early through mid year, but not great numbers. There are also a fair number of guys who ice fish the harbor for walleyes with good success, and I've found out about a few spots from some of them. Walleye limit on the river and the harbor is two per person per day.

As for NE Minnesota lakes, I don't know much. But I'll for sure get out for lakers a couple times this winter. Wanted to last winter, never seemed to be able to make it happen.

Give me a shout before you come up, and we'll see what we can do.

------------------

Just one more thing. grin.gif
Could one of you post a picture of a quick-strike rig? The one in the other post didnt show up on my comp.
I really dont get what its suppose to look like and how you are suppose to tie it.
Any help would be great.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

Stunner:

Did an online search, couldn't find a good picture.

But picture a black wire, like for leaders, about 2 feet long. At one end is a barrel swivel. At the other end, fastened to the end of the wire, is a double hook. One hook is small, the other bigger. Smaller hook goes in lip/head of bait, larger hook sticks out to hook fish. The second double hook slides up and down the wire. You slide it up and down depending on how long your baifish is. You stick the small hook in the baitfish's back, and the bigger one sticks out. This positioning should hold the bait about level. Some models have treble hooks instead of double hooks. And in Minnesota, you have to get the kind with a little bitty spinner attached, because it's not legally considered a lure unless it's on there. You CAN make them, but they're cheap to buy and a bit of hassle to make.

Anyway, when you get a hit on a quick strike, set as soon as possible. No waiting for the fish to swallow the bait. Better for the fish, easier to release for you.

------------------

The RocknReel is an invention that T-BONE developed. The first units are being made as we speak and should be available at the ice fishing show in St. Paul. You will have to see it to believe it. Thats all I can really say at this point.

I found a picture quick strike rig is but what I don’t understand is how is the minnow is put on.
How I had understand it, the minnow is suppose to be vertical and not horizontal or are you suppose to put a three way swivel on to make it horizontal? confused.gif
I’m kinda lost. frown.gif

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

[This message has been edited by fishstunner (edited 10-23-2002).]

The hook on the end of the quick strike goes into the bait's head. The sliding hook goes into the bait's back, usually a little forward of center, and that will keep the bait horizontal. Horizontal bait looks more natural, which is why I do it that way. Most of the time, I figure pike will take it no matter how it hangs, but do the horizontal just in case it makes a difference grin.gif With a hook in the head and one in the center, I rarely miss a hookup on a quick-strike.

Good luck.

Just like what stfcatfish said, one of the treble hooks goes through the top of the head and the other about center. Try not to pierce the minnow too bad because you might want a little movement (assuming you're using live bait). If your using deadbait then it won't matter. Horizontal is a key too. Looks more natural to a pike and makes an easier grab as well. And just like stfcatfish, you'll rarely miss a strike. I have quick-strike rigs on most of my stationary pike tip-ups.

Good Fishin, Matt.

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 10-24-2002).]

If I'm staying in one spot for awhile I like to use a tip up. Some of my biggest walleyes have come off a tip up with a sucker minnow. One tip I like to use is a rubber snubber above the quick strike rig. It helps when you are trying to pull in a big northern when they do a head shake etc. it gives you a little lee way and helps them not shake off. Which does happen once in a blue moon. Macks Lure even sells glow in the dark ones.

------------------
Bruce Mosher,www.icebusterbobbers.com

Now don't forget to add a small spinner on your rigs, to make them into a "lure" to be legal in MN!

I think the DNR is really dropping the ball by not getting rid of the no treble hook laws, as they are much better for releasing big fish than single hooks are. If any hooks should be banned, it should be those big long pike killer hooks, what are they called?

JMO smile.gif

Anyone fish those big pike on red lake ?

Cyb

Cyberfish, Yes I fished with a bunch of writers, John Peterson and a few Pros last winter on first ice and we caught a few. I used a Finicky Fish Factory box with a sucker minnow and a quick strike rig and within 1/2 hr my flag was up. When I set the hook I couldn't turn the big northern. He just kept running. I put tension on the line with my hands and the fight was on for a short period. All of a sudden he turned and came straight back to the hole almost as fast as the other direction. So now I'm going hand over hand as fast as I could and the next thing you know the Beast was gone. When I looked at my quick strike rig I frowned because the Barbs were still pinched from using it last ice up on Reed River the winter before, north of Buffalo Bay !!! Bruce Mosher

[This message has been edited by Bruce Mosher (edited 10-27-2002).]

With the weather we're having lately some of the channels and inlets should be freezing over soon. Once this happens I'll be out fishing pike near the backwaters. There's a lake near me that has a relatively deep (10 feet or so) channel between the two sections of the lake that freezes over before anything else in the county (Coon Lake). Always a good bet for big crappies and pike. State record crappie was taken out of here a few years back.

Any lakes simliar to this near you guys? Lakes shaped like a hour glass seem to be the key. Skinny neck in the middle will typically hold fish during first ice.

Good Fishin, Matt.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Bruce Mosher talked about the Finicky's Fish Factory.

This is a sweet tip-up unit that keeps your holes open, jigs your set-up if you'd like, keeps your knees dry when kneeling by the tip-up and also has a light that goes on when a fish takes the bait for night fishing.

You can see it by Clicking Here

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-28-2002).]

i prefer to use tip ups because i like waiting for the flag to come up instead of sitting there jigging for them i think that jigging is kind of boring.and i personalt have had more success using tip ups.