• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

major differences between an aluminum & fiberglass bass boat?

say_der

Anybody on here ever fish out of a fiberglass bass boat and then fish out of an aluminum Jon boat style “bass” boat? I’m assuming there is a big difference. I’ve fished out of Rangers before, but can only afford a BassTracker or a Polar Kraft type aluminum Jon boat style. I’m just wondering how different it will be. I’m mostly concerned with stability when standing on the platforms since it’s a lighter boat.

Thanks.

I fish out of both all the time. I have an older fiberglass 17'6" Tracker/Nitro with a 150 horse. My father-in-law has a 16-17' alumunium Lowe with 55 horse, similar to aluminum Bass Tracker. The Lowe is at the cabin and I do not drag my boat there if I do not have to, to save gas. Completly different boats. Lowe is scary to fish out of. Very tippy and is hard to fish standing up, I tend to fish bass and musky with no seat at all on both decks. Lowe is scary running in white caps and you get drenched. My wife will not even ride in the Lowe. Fiberglass bass boats are great for stabilty, cutting through heavy waves and speed. I would not own an aluminum bass boat after fishing out of a fiberglass. You can get an older fiberglass bass boat for fairly cheap, just make sure it has a good transom. If an aluminum is all you can afford, go for it if it gets you out fishing.

Thanks for the reply. It's kind of what I was expecting but not really wanting to hear.

I like to fish standing up. I don't bobber fish & I don't troll or drift while fishing. I'm always casting and retreiving. Can anybody recommend a deeper wider aluminum boat that works for this?

How does someone know if a transom is good or bad? I'm pretty new to this boat world. I've been fishing out of them for years, just never been fortunate / unfortuante enough to own one. wink.gif

Thanks for any advice.

Ya, find a used Lund PRO-V and it will do everything you're looking for and then some, with all the stability and rough water handling capabilities you could ask for. You and a buddy can stand, move around all you want and never have to worry about tipping or stability problems. I primarily walleye fish, but do a fare share of bass fishing too and it's great for either.