• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pros and Cons to spaying when it comes to Hunting?

Grandee

Just curoius to find out what other people have experienced after spaying there hunting dog. If it affects there drive and the way they hunt. Trying to make the best decision for her. Thanks

It will have no effect on her hunting ability. Other than never being in heat and having a male constantly antagonizing her... if anything it will make her more consistant, less hormonal swings...

Good Luck!

Ken

I did that to my dog just because of some of the cancers that may come from not spaying them. I put a lot of time into my hunting partner and want her to live as long as she can. Plus I don't have time to raise a litter.

The only caution I would give to you would be that spayed dogs have a tendency to gain weight, which does effect performance. You need to either cut back on the food, or increase their activity. I had a vet tell me that after being spayed or neutered, a dogs caloric needs really decrease.

I wish spaying my dog would have slowed her down. It did for a couple days and that was it. She still has all the pep in the world. As far as weight gain, I haven't noticed a thing. She still eats a lot and hasn't put any weight on at all. She weighs the same now as she did a year ago when spayed. My suggestion is, if you don't plan on breeding her, then get her spayed. No need to have an unexpected/unwanted litter.

Quote:

The only caution I would give to you would be that spayed dogs have a tendency to gain weight

Sort of true and sort of not true. The metabolic rate does slow some but if you are exercising the dog and feeding it properly there will be no difference. A fat dog can easily be cured.

I would heartily advise you to spay her to avoid the cancers that are associated with intact dogs. I'm on my third female lab and the first two developed mammary gland (breast) tumors. On my first lab it got to the size of a grapefruit, oozing puss - I ended up putting her down. On the second one it got to be a spendy surgery to remove the 3 nodules. According to my vet, they're caused by the hormonal changes associated with the heat cycles.

My third female lab has been fixed. It hasn't affected her drive one iota. No more male dogs hanging around every six months. Yes you have to watch their diet but you could say that about any dog, depending upon their activity level. I'd highly recommend getting her fixed.