• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

archery question

I just purchased a new bow yesterday. When I was shooting it, I noticed the arrow was sticking out about 4 inches beyond the rest. I want to get the arrow cut again but I am concerned about the insert. Will a pro shop be able to cut the shaft since the insert is in there? Also, how far should the arrow extend beyond the rest?

Couple of things to consider.

-First to answer your question, it will depend, if its a aluminum arrow it will be no problem to get the insert out.. they are just hot melted in. Many of the carbon arrows are super glued in and will be much more difficult. But if cutting off more than 1.5 inches you will probably just replace the insert and throw the old one anyway.

Now.. things you must think about. You want to be sure you want to cut the arrow. The spine of an arrow is very important to accuray. If you cut the arrow it will change the spine of the arrow(make it stiffer), you may cut enough to change the arrow needed for the bow and poundage you are shooting. This will make your arrow lighter, you want to be sure you are still shooting enough grains per pound for your bow. Lastly, you want enough clearance so that you dont have to worry about cutting yoru finger on the draw and or release. I have my arrows sticking about 2" beyond the rest if I remember right.

Dietz is right. If your arrow truly is sticking out 4" at full draw then there shouldn't be any problem with recutting your arrows. You'll just have to get new inserts if they are carbon arrows.

What is your draw length? I have a 29" draw length and I believe my arrows are cut to 30".