• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Vacation - Where?

Quote:

(not that FLA would be too bad in the middle of January either).

If you compare the two theres no contest. Minnesota wins hands down. Florida is all sand, cant grow any thing here but sandspurs. Very few people have actual grass, and it SHOULD NOT BE 70 degrees on Christmas Day! I really miss Minnesota. frown.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Hope your trip is great and please let us all know what you actually did get to see in your too short visit,

Lisa

Well to start we are going to stay at Birch Lake Campground

11580 Little Lake Rd. I hope its as pretty as the 1 picture I could find.

So, I am reading all these other posts and one that caught my attention was "Rock Bass". I guess he's a wormy little fella tongue.gif. Do you know, are there any of these in Birch Lake or what "if I'm lucky" kinda of fish I can hope to catch?? smile.gif And the best tasting

We had a fantastic time. I have never been so relaxed in my life!!!!!!!!! I never could choose a lake to stay at we so went to the Cloquet KOA, not a bad place except my boys (4 Angelo and Nico 5 years old) HAD to go in the mens room and not the womens because there to big now, anyhow I told them to stay there until I called for them but the guy running the place went in there to clean the mens room and MADE my boys go outside the building by themselves and would not let them go in the ladies room, they were so scared. I was P****D. But now back to the good stuff, Took 36 hours driving straight thru pulling the boat, (next time the boat stays home)and many gallons of gas. My wonderful cousin Jeff was there 5 minutes after we (we as in me, hubby, 2 boys, daughter and daughters boyfriend)(all in my truck!)Jeff was late getting to work just so he could help us set up the tent etc what a great guy. Did I tell you I lost 12 pounds before we left? Well we arived about 7 - 8ish AM got set up had lunch and decided not to do ANYTHING the first day. I did not want to get back in truck. (can you believe it 12 pounds and it wasnt that hard to lose) After a day of SHOWER FIRST, playing ball, relaxing and eating shocked.gifs'mores tongue.gif David (daughters boyfriend) Made me laugh, He said he was amazed because he has never seen so many tree's in one area. (12!) Getting chilly time for bed, WHAT THE H**L shocked.gif44 degree's, I thought everybody was going to wake up and demand to go home. 2nd day went to Chub Lake was going to go skiing now most people would think 44 degree's = C O L D W A T E R ! ! ! Not me, jumped right in. After a minute of trying to breath, played in the water and David didnt think either he jumped in and froze too laugh.gif, well time to fish. Caught NOTHING! But was suprised by my cousin Connie following us in a pontoon made a better day. Went back to camp cooked and guess what? another crazy.gifS'more. Crawled into bed and ENOUGH ALREADY ---- 48 degree's! DAY #3 went to the lighthouse and museum Enger tower, touristy stuff, family loved it, later that night....do I really need to tell ya? Day #4 Another lake full of weeds cant remember the name wasnt to far away Caught NOTHING (getting really mad)But Jeff and/or his son came over every morning and evening just to check on us, drink a beer and yes have a s'more, Next day went to my other wonderful cousin who lives on Long Lake and GUESS WHAT (no, no s'mores) I CAUGHT 15 FISH ! ! ! ! YYYYEEEEEAAAAAAA had to throw everyone back they were too small, dammit! Oh well I CAUGHT FISH!! spent the day with Punchy and his fantastic family had lunch and dinner with them (Brittney, my daughter missed out because she wouldnt get out of bed so her and david were left behind. David wasnt to thrilled I know he was hungry) After dinner still no S'mores (chocolate cupcake)I think that was day 5. Day #6 our last day very sad decided to stay at camp grounds more family, more beer, (12?) peach schnopps and other good stuff, nothing illegal. Did I mention more S'MORES??? Funny thing about them s'mores I found every one of those 12 pounds mixed in them? Imagine losing 12 pounds and having to drive ALL the way to Minnesota just to find them. Put over 4,000 miles on my truck. NOW the best part everybody LOVED IT THERE, my daughter Brittney and boy toy David said there would be no way they will ever move to a $%^* - %^&* - @#$% cold @#$ - @#$%^& state of Minnesota can not wait to move, Hubby said he will move as long as I FLY shocked.gif back once a year to see family (I dont fly) and my boys... well they couldnt care less where we lived. BUT EVERY ONE WANTS TO MOVE THERE! ! ! ! I honestly didnt think they would want to . I have 300 pictures I will try to post some. Now remember if you lose weight you might find it if you come to Florida and have some gator tail, pizza and if your home sick some S'mores, and I'm sure you'll find them. cool.gif only 31 hours back

Sound like a great trip.

Just to warn you, my neighbors across the street used to live in Georgia, and came to Minnesota for a vacation to visit the wife's family that still reside here(sound familiar so far?). 1 year later they were permanent residents to the area. You wouldn't be the first.

Wow Dee Dee what a trip!! You have beautiful children and stayed only about 5 minutes from where I live so I am really bummed that I couldn't come and have a brewsky with you! Anyway, thanks for sharing! My family and I drove to Sarasota when my son was 3 and it was really tough! I'm glad you got some fishing in-I haven't fished for a couple of weeks but all I seem to catch are bass lately (I'm supposed to be the Walleye Queen-that's what I get for being so cocky-karma's a b***h!)Who cares about the 12lbs, you look happy and wonderful and everyone has to have smores around the campfire when yer in Minnesota!

Lisa

Quote:

Sound like a great trip.

Just to warn you, my neighbors across the street used to live in Georgia, and came to Minnesota for a vacation to visit the wife's family that still reside here(sound familiar so far?). 1 year later they were permanent residents to the area. You wouldn't be the first.

I lived there WAY back in '83. We are planning to move back next year grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

Nice to see you again and meet your family. Great pics too.

Hey Franky!

I have 295 more pictures. Had a really great time at your house. Chuck said it was his favorite part of the trip. Very relaxing and he caught fish. laugh.gif Were planning next years trip. With any luck the house will be sold and it will be a permnant trip cool.gif

And Lisa, I will be sure to let you know where we are next time and the beer will be on ice.

So Lisa, and Punchy... When are you comming to Florida? Its only like 80 something degrees crazy.gif(at night). Today is to be 96 degree's 80% Humidity. Come on doesnt that sound like fun? cool.gif You can get a fantastic sunburn at the beach and we have plenty of aloe if it bothers you.

No problem DEE DEE as long as Punchy drives! grin.gif

Actually I think Carlton,MN is just perfect todaywith it being 73 degrees and 50% humidity. We'll all sleep like babies tonight up here since it'll drop to 46 degrees. We always give people a hard time that they couldn't handle our MN winters but seriously-I don't know how you guys handle your FLA summers! HOT HOT HOT! I only like to sweat when I'm working out not just sitting around coping with heat and humidity being the cold blooded gal I am! Lisa

I would much rather have your winters. Well, the temp you have now will be our temp this winter and some times it reaches 40 degree's. As for sharks, snakes and spiders, stay in the boat, stay out of the bushes and bring an extra shoe for squishin (flip flops work very well) as long as the spider doesnt have a white violin on its back, you'll be ok. I dont live on a lake but I do have a pool you can swim in. I think I would be more concerned about the gators, but again its that whole stay in the boat thing, and if your line breaks...leave it!

So Punchy your driving and brining Lisa should I start making reservations? I could find you a big van. Do you want a Tent, Cabin, Hotel, House boat on the river. (dont eat the fish) A week in a house boat costs about the same per week as a hotel. Add a day or 2 of deap sea fishing cool.gif........

Thanks for the invite DeeDee but I don't think Mrs. Punchy or Mr. LisaTealz would appreciate our roadtrip one little bit! I'm just still bummed you were only a couple miles from me and I didn't even know it...what a small world! Anyway, ice fishing's right around the corner! Now there's something to come back to MN for. The only gators we worry about are the ones that don't fit through the ice hole!!

Lisa

PS Do you get to fish much down there?

I wish all our gators would get stuck in a hole. mad.gif We have plenty of fish mostly really ugly gar fish, its just so many of the lakes here are so dirty you dont really want to eat them, to be honest I havent even heard of any fishing tournaments around me.(florida sux) And the St. Johns River is really gross, frown.gif but beautiful to just enjoy a long boat ride. Watching the gators, turtles and the strange looking birds sunning on the banks is really cool. Anyhow keep your fingers crossed for me, WE HAVE A BUYER FOR OUR HOUSE! ! ! ! ! ! I dont want to move up there late in the year so we are looking to go when my boys get out of school in May. I'm so excited. grin.gif My daughter is ready to pack now.