• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Extend 1989 Tyee Livewell

hello I have a 1989 Tyee and was wondering if anyone has attempted or modified the front and only livewell. I am thinking that this summer on my Millacs fishing Touney's if i got a few over fish that they probably wont fit in the livewell. Anyone have any advice on this problem. Even though it is a good problem to have.

I have a 1990 17' MirroCraft that just had a front live well. I fish mainly Catfish Tournaments and needed another live well to fit them big piggies I be catchin'!!! grin.gif

I ended up adding another live well to my boat in the transom area. I'm fairly handy and enjoy making stuff, if your the same it's not too hard to do (if you have the room).

I used a large 120qt cooler I had for the live well itself. I cut the top off, I really didn't need a live well that deep, so I made it level with the rest of the lockers.

I ran an outlet out the bottom of the cooler for the drain, attached to a hose running out the transom with the other live well. Drilled an overflow hole in the back of the cooler (was easier space wise than the side). Then drilled a hole in the side of my boat just lower than the overflow level of the cooler, attached the proper hose to the fittings and that part was finished. Make sure you use the biggest fittings you can, so water will flow out easily. **NOTE** If you do this, make sure the water overflow on the cooler is well above the water line outside of the boat...If it isn't, your just gonna sink your boat!!!***

As for the aerator, you could put another one in your boat and run two pumps (that's what I did), or get a y-connector and just tap into the existing one. Run the hose up to the new live well, cut hole a few inches above the top of the live well water line and attach the hose to the proper spray/flow fitting. Make sure everything is sealed up well, and build your carpeted box around it with lid.

This is what I did and couldn't be happier. Mine looks good and operates perfect. I might have bought an actual live well liner to build it with, but I already had the cooler so what the heck? Plus It's already insulated too....

This might not be what you were looking for, but it's a possibility. Just remember, once you drill holes through the hull of your boat...It's permanent! shocked.gif