• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you all feed your Dogs?

DRH1175

Thanks for posting that list 311Hemi. Yes that is the exact sheet and list I was talking about, you beat me to it so thanks. Also to add to that List Noble which was talked about in that list. It scores 100-A. I am so glad this post has turned into a great Info debate. I started it just because I have run into so many people who cherish their dog buddies but don't really know much about the food. I never intended to bash anyones food choices. Only to get out the info to make sure you are feeding the best food you can for your pet. AS you can see from the list there are many choices you can be proud to feed your pet. And some to stay away from. I hope my efforts making this post were usefull to some. Thanks for all the feedback!!! I love my dogs as I know you all do.

I did some searching on the web and can find no original source for the grading method. Some person on another board claims to be the author. If they are the author, this person isn't a scientist and basically made this up. I think this is a natural/organic dog food thing someone cooked up.

For me if stuff like this doesn't come from the FDA or some other neutral scientific lab then I'm a bit skeptical about motives etc...

Take the system for what it's worth and where it came from. If your dog is healthy and happy with the food you have it on then your feeding the right stuff to your dog.

I have to agree with GSP. The extra credit points give it away that the guy might own a some stock in one of the "natural" dog food companys. Or he might have recieved a little kick back for comming up with this formula. 37 extra credit points on a 100 point test, and the A-F range is only 30? Wish the teachers in school would have given that much extra credit. Take it for what it is, something someone made up and posted on the intermess.

CW

I seen that list/criteria and sent it to the Vets at Diamond. Now I know they work for Diamond so they might be a little bias but it made some sense here is the reply:

We offer several different product lines to meet the needs of our customers and their pets.

For the pet owner's desiring very holistic formulas we have a Premium Edge and Chicken Soup product line. These formulas will be more expensive than the non-holistic product lines like the Diamond. This does not mean that the product is not a good product. This is just a scoring system by an individual using criteria that appears to have been established by customer demand. Diamond has several formulas on the list below that have scored quite well. These are: Premium Edge Chicken Rice and Veggie Adult, Diamond Naturals lamb and rice, Diamond Naturals Large Breed 60+, Chicken Soup Senior.

Janet L. Rettenmaier, DVM, MS

Veterinary Services

Diamond Pet Foods

Meta, MO 65058

Like I said....I don't know if there was an agenda by whoever produced this test....but was simply posting it. I agree with GSP and the rest of you: "Take the system for what it's worth and where it came from!"

Not singling out Harmonic, but am curious what the suspicions would be with the "If the food containing fruit, add 3 points".

With that being said, can anyone posting specifics (or that knows specifics) about any certain scorings in this test offer any in site as to why it may be good (+ points) or bad (- points). I think it may be helpful or at least interesting to hear about some of these scorings.

I have to admit when I first read that what I was feeding my dog rated low, I was a little concerned. The the voice of reason spoke (wife), and said if it has worked so well for so many years for lots of people, and is Vet Recomended, how can it be so bad for the dog. I then decided to ask around a little, and one of my friends said he had heard of this rating system and heard it came from one of the companies that markets the "natural" dog foods (I think some people call them holistic?) I think I am going to follow GSP's advice (again) and stick with what works. I'm not saying I buy the best or worst food on the market, but it works for me and the dogs always seem happy and healthy so I think my Britt will get the same As my old Basset, and my old Springer got...Science Diet. smirk.gif

Just remember, there is much more to base a food decision off of that this single (unknown source) test. Meaning you can still find out a lot of info on your own to make a more educated decision on what food may be better than others.

My baby (I don't have a kid though) may look just fine on the generic (yellow can) baby formula, that does not mean I would buy it if I knew there was something better out there for them.

311Hemi - I was going more for the humor angle on that one and I probably should have added an grin.gif after it. But two things first came to mind when I thought of fruit and dog food: Yule Gibbons and "You ever eat a pine tree? Some parts are edible." and... the thought of my mom's fruit salad with cranberries in the dog dish. They just didn't conjure up thoughts of healthiness.

Quote:

"the thought of my mom's fruit salad with cranberries in the dog dish."

Enough said....I now understand! shocked.gifgrin.gif

It would still be interesting to hear if anyone has any details regarding any of the + and - in that test.

I email the site listed above that has this test posted and this was their response:

"The test was from an all natural diets HSOforum and copied by so many other Raw diet sites so the actually contributor was lost. I found it to be very helpful for me in grading the food I currently use and be able to add the items to it that were missing naturally.

The most important part of the rating system is the first half. Take the Extra Credit with a grain of salt. Although Fruits and Vegtable have some very valuable Antioxidants it really comes down to personal preference. Blueberries, and especially tomatos to have a great Cancer fighting to them. I would say anything in the high b's to A's. are Awesome foods. Everyone can make their own decision on what they feel is neccesary. The whole point of the grading system is to look for prime ingredients vs. dump that some companies get away with feeding our animals. Just cause the Bag said premium doesn't mean it is. Look past the labels to the ingredient list.