• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Women kayakers?

Do you guys use the open kayaks like I see the fisherpeople using? Or do you use the longer sea kayaks? I really don't think my husband will kayak with me and wonder if it's feasible for an average woman to take up this sport!

Set me straight,

Lisa

It's wonderfully fun. (that dosent sound right but you understand what I am saying. I have a 15'closed touring kayak, as does my wife. I would have to say kayaking by myself is a bit boring, but if you get a few people together it can be a great way to exercise and enjoy the outdoors. I prefer the closed cockpit kayak and use a sprayskirt, when looking for a new kayak, check with local dealers. I know Paramount up here in Fargo, ND has several days throughout the summer when you can go down get some pointers and try out several different 'yaks to see what fits you best and get some good instruction also. At first you will be intimidated but after 3 years of doing this it comes naturally. Where are you located at?

Lisa; Do you fish?Kayaking solo is not the least boring!!If you enjoy nature,wildlife cruise right up on,shallows see fish turtles aquatic life,bird watch,I could go on & on!You could start with a cheaper kayak $300.00 range,sit in not on top 10-12 ft. range! If your outdoorsy you'll love it!

Great info! I live in Carlton so Lake Superior would be a great place but not going out alone since she's very unpredictable but we also have a cabin north of Gr. Rapids by Moose Lake/Deer Lake and those smaller lakes would be wonderful to fish. Does anyone kayak in these areas? I haven't seen anyone kayaking on these smaller inland lakes. I will take both your advice and head to Skihut or Gander to look a little more extensively. I am getting really pumped up about this. If you catch a fish in your kayak, how hard is it to land it? OH MY GOODNESS! The questions keep bubbling up!

Lisa

I havent tried fishing.... yet. The Apostle Islands on Superior have alot of kayakers that head up there, I plan on making that trip this summer yet. The wife dosent feel ready yet so we have to do a bunch more paddling first so she can feel more comfortable with the idea.

Near Carlton there is a place I think it is through UofM Duluth Check out http://www.umdrsop.org/kayaking/index.html

Also the guys over ar Rapids Riders are awesome, you have a ton of wonderfull opportunities for kayaking and canoeing within an hour of where you are at!

I am surprised your spouse wouldnt want to try thisa also. In fact my wife and I travel out to the north shore & Duluth area twice a year just to go kayaking.

He says he has already too many hobbies that take up his time! He is right tho. He's into ALOT of things. I've always wanted to do this and since kayaking has just exploded in recent years-I'm getting ready to try it. Thank you for all the advice!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I kayak LOTS and love it. I noticed that your post was from May and it's now August. Not sure if you purchased a kayak yet, but I've kayaked small lakes, the Mississippi, and fished from my kayak. It's great, once you figure out where everything needs to go. Make sure you get a stable kayak. Mine is an open cockpit Wilderness Systems, Pungo 120. I absolutely love it because of the seat. It has 6 point adjustment to keep you comfortable while yakking. I've kayaked with a stringer full of panfish tied to the end of my kayak, and that's not real easy... so continually trying to modify it. I definitely recommend getting a kayak. It has taken a while for me to find other women who want to get out kayaking, but now that I have, it's a BLAST!

Hi FM! I haven't bought a kayak yet. I just haven't got the guts to do it. I've been trying to recruit some of my friends but it's been 'all talk and no action" but am still super interested in buying one. How much did your kayak cost? I guess I'll have to get over my insecurities and just do it!

Lisa,I got a great deal on a new kayak package on hsolist.Kayak and paddle 240.00.The kayak is better than my pervious Otter.Warehouse in Savage Mn So I picked it up and saved an extra 75-100 shipping.Sunchaser on hsolist,I dont think any sponcers here deal in kayaks,they are picking up in popularity a article in St. Paul Outdoors last week stated kayak registration up some unbelieveible % from 2003 cool.gif