• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alumimun boat paint job on a budget. (lots of pics)

DTro

Finally got around to putting some fresh paint on my small aluminum boat.

First time I did a paint job like this and I thought it can't turn out much worse then I started with.

So I dove right in.

Now I realize there are specific products and procedures that will give better results and last longer (etch primer, etc). But I figure if it doesn't last, or peels and chip, then I just do it again. No biggee

Here is what I started with:

IMG_0173.jpg

This is the order I followed:

1. Peeled all decals using a blow dryer and putty knife. Followed by cleaning up the residue with GoofOff.

Also found some history. If gunwales could talk grin.gif

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

2. Gave it a good wash down with a mix of vinegar and hot water.

IMG_0177.jpg

3. Sanded with 120 grit followed by a wipe down with tack cloth.

IMG_0178.jpg

4. Mask off unpainted areas

IMG_0179.jpg

5. Paint. I used a protective enamel oil based paint (Rust Oleum) in leather brown using a compressor and spray gun.

IMG_0180.jpg

6. Let Dry and add second coat

IMG_0182.jpg

7. Let Dry again, mount engine and add decals.

I give you "CATCRAFT"

IMG_0183.jpg

Total Cost

Paint 1qt 7.99

Tack Cloth 2.99

Sandpaper 4.99

elbow grease of approx 3-4hrs (not counting dry time)

The bigger and better fish I'll catch because I'm looking better doing it.......priceless grin.gif

Holy cow! Looks good and almost like a wood boat. If you had a guy who was good with an airbrush, they could do a woodgrain effect on that and it'd be pretty neat!

Can't beat the price though.

Just noticed the timestamp on the pics...all in four hours!

Nice.... was that color paint on sale or did you choose it to blend in with the murky chocolate waters you fish in so no one can follow you to your prime Cat spots?

Nice touch on the CATCRAFT graphics that will add resale value!

grin.gif

Quote:

Nice.... was that color paint on sale or did you choose it to blend in with the murky chocolate waters you fish in so no one can follow you to your prime Cat spots?

Nice touch on the CATCRAFT graphics that will add resale value!

grin.gif

I figured it would minimize the visible scum line, and yes perhaps blend into the environment....lol

Quote:

I have scum lines to scrub off all the time as they look terrible.

I'm intentionally building my scum line up as thats the sign of a true riverboat, sort of like a tattoo or scar. A good scum line is earned. grin.gif

I'll scrub mine off every time. You can surely have your scum line Chris. You are the catman, I just play with them once in awhile.

I guess I will never be a true riverrat in a true river boat. One day if I were to ever purchase a River Pro, then I will leave the scum line and be a true riverrat. For now, I guess I will be an eye and pannie guy with a lake boat and frequent the river 20 times a year.

Quote:

One day if I were to ever purchase a River Pro, then I will leave the scum line and be a true riverrat.

I don't know... if I got the River Pro, that might be going through the car wash at least once a week. grin.gif