• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

advice needed

I was out sunny and crappie fishing in ne metro and had about 10-15 carp surface around my boat. I'm thinking about going out again on sat. and wondering any advice for 1st timer. I know guys that fish river with corn but wondering on the specifics... I might go to gander and pick up some of that carp bait they got... not really sure of what type of weight or hooks, or line... any help would be sweet.

Thanks guys!

personally I think its cheaper to use corn than the carp baits. I usually just use a #4 or #2 walleye type hook and just splitshot. Current and depth would tell you how much weight to use. I use the lightest that you can get away with just like fishing for bass or anything else for that matter. As for line I just use 10# sensation. I know the diehard carp fanatics are cringing at my advice but it works well for me and I've been fishing them for 20yrs. Good times.

I agree with serpent. I was out last night for three hours 6-9. I threw a half a can of corn into the water (shore fishing) and fished with the other half. I was using a micro reel, 10lb mono, #8 hook, five kernels of corn and two small splitshot, no leader. It was an absolute frenzy and great fishing on medium tackle. They started hitting hard around 7pm and I fished until I couldn't see. I never worry about overfeeding the carp with cans of corn, there are hundreds of them and they are hungry.

I love to use my med/light 6'6" walleye rod w/ 6 lb test. Most of the carp I catch are under 10lbs w/ the occasional fish over 15, and it is a blast! I've tried both, and corn has outfished the powerbait stuff every time. However, the powerbait floats, and if you have a ton of carp surphasing, just barry a hook in it leaving the barb exposed and throw it out there.

I have found that the less weight you use, the better. In still water, use just enough weight to cast. Carp will sometimes drop your bait if they feel any weight on it.

Corn is the best bet (IMO), and it's awesome when you can sight fish them in shallow water. Toss a few handfulls of corn out, toss your bait in the area, and wait until you see one suck up your corn-covered hook. Then smack 'em. I've used everything from my cat rod to an ultralight, and it's a whole lot of fun whatever you use.

Quote:

I agree with serpent. I was out last night for three hours 6-9. I threw a half a can of corn into the water (shore fishing) and fished with the other half. I was using a micro reel, 10lb mono, #8 hook, five kernels of corn and two small splitshot, no leader. It was an absolute frenzy and great fishing on medium tackle. They started hitting hard around 7pm and I fished until I couldn't see. I never worry about overfeeding the carp with cans of corn, there are hundreds of them and they are hungry.

Would'nt that be chuming,I think chuming is illeagle!

Thanks for the exclamation. The definition: "chumming refers to the process of scattering ground up fish (known as chum) in the water as bait." This is considered waste material and is not legal. Throwing a half a can of corn is not chumming by definition nor is it illegal or unethical as considered by the MN DNR. I called the St. Paul office this morning to be sure and it was confirmed by two agents. If it is an environmental issue for some, I often place a whole can of corn in a mesh with a rock to make it sink. Tie the bag to some rope and throw it in. Pull the bag up when done with that spot and move on to the next.