• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Batteries Smell

WIllsdad

I just got my boat out of storage and found that I have a problem. I pluged in my 3-bank charger last night and this morning when I opened my garage, it smelled of rotten eggs. Last fall I thought I had a problem with my wifes car and now when the car is not in garage, I have to think that it is my batteries. Has anyone had this happen?

I also have learned over the years in automotive realm, "rotten egg smell" means over charging. I would use a multi-tester and set it to under 20 volts (v) and see how many volts it is putting out (charger hooked to battery, placing Volt-meter probs on battery term.'s). Also switch over to amperes and check that against what you battery charger rate is set at. When an Alternator voltage regulator goes out and is charging truck or car battery at over 17-20 volts, you get that horrendous rotten egg smell. Good luck!