• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Something to make sure you have on your next trip

CrappieAttitude

This past weekend we were up on "da range" 4-wheeling and we got ourselves into a situation that could have left us stranded for quite a while. One of the guys in our group of 6 went through a pretty deep mud hole and hit something pretty hard with his front wheel. As he made it through the hole, we noticed the outer bead of his tire had been broken and was loose on the rim. It wasn't a good sight seeing the inside of a rim while deep in the woods.

With a little scrounging around for tools, we were able to collect enough stuff to take the wheel off. After draining the muddy water from inside the tire and drying off the rim as best as we could, we took a ratchet strap and "cranked er down" on the tire around the rim. Then a couple of guys had those little canisters of CO2 to inflate tires. We never thought that they would have enough in them to set a bead on the tire. We had three guys holding the rim and tire in places to keep a tight fitting, and 3 canisters later we were back in business. He rode on that tire for the remainder of the day and on Sunday. He checked the tire on Sunday and it was still holding 5 lbs of air.

If you don't have these in your tool kit, I would highly suggest you add them. It was really neat to see them work. Also without a ratchet strap, I think it would been impossible.

CA

That's much safer than the way some guys did it on a video I saw. They had a full size truck with big mud tires. The tire had come off the bead so they took the wheel and tire off the truck and sprayed what looked like WD-40 into the tire then lit it. It set the bead very nicely but I can imagine if you used too much it may blow the whole tire off the rim.

You can get a small 12v air comressor that comes with some slime tire sealant for around $20-$30 at places like Fleet Farm,Northern Tool, Wal-mart, etc. The whole kit doesn't take up much space, the northern tool versian also had a ckear plastic bag that it all stored in.

Quote:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what looked like WD-40

Starting fluid is what we used.

That wold work too. I'm not sure the guys I saw had eyebrows left. How did it work for you?

Works great on big Mud truck tires. Never tryed it on the wheeler as of yet. I think they are small enough to get them to seat without it.

Just some of what I carry in the north country.

air compressor,tire plug kit , valve stems, slime, ratchet strap,bunggie cords, socket and wrench sets,screw divers,allen wrenchs, snatch blocks, choker strap, duct tape,and tie wire spark plugs.Chainsaw on front rack and hand saw or machette in box.

Emergengcy wise. first aid kit,space blankets,fire starter,extra food and water and if you are a person that needs daily meds. carry enough for at least a one day supply. If you are a person that is alergict to stings carry the meds. and make sure someone else knows how to administer it.

This may sound like a lot but epuipment wise everything has been used at one time or another. Emergency wise the worst we have had is a smashed wrist. Split was made out of sticks and duct tape, sling made out of a towel some one had and the whole works duct taped to the body to stabilize it. 3 miles later we were able to put them in a truck to suffer 2 miles of logging road before hitting a real road.

The point is go preparedbecause you just don't know what can happen out there.

Very nice list, I thought I brought alot of gear.... now I know some more things to add.

Quote:

Just some of what I carry in the north country.

air compressor,tire plug kit , valve stems, slime, ratchet strap,bunggie cords, socket and wrench sets,screw divers,allen wrenchs, snatch blocks, choker strap, duct tape,and tie wire spark plugs.Chainsaw on front rack and hand saw or machette in box.

Emergengcy wise. first aid kit,space blankets,fire starter,extra food and water and if you are a person that needs daily meds. carry enough for at least a one day supply. If you are a person that is alergict to stings carry the meds. and make sure someone else knows how to administer it.

This may sound like a lot but epuipment wise everything has been used at one time or another. Emergency wise the worst we have had is a smashed wrist. Split was made out of sticks and duct tape, sling made out of a towel some one had and the whole works duct taped to the body to stabilize it. 3 miles later we were able to put them in a truck to suffer 2 miles of logging road before hitting a real road.

The point is go preparedbecause you just don't know what can happen out there.

I go by the motto; Trust no-one, bring everything yourself.

My pack list for when I'm out "playing" is as follows:

MY ATV Carry List

Water - 2 quarts minimum

Very Well Stocked First Aid Kit For those who bring their beer

Tire repair kit - good for small punctures

CO2 inflator

Air compressor

20Ft tow strap

Factory tool kit

My own tool kit

Grease gun

Spare Gorilla axle

Zip ties

Compass

GPS

Cell phone

My work 2 way radio (I’m a Firefighter/Paramedic, I CAN GET HELP)

Emergency Space Blanket

G30

Plenty of G30 food

Wool Blanket

Waterproof Matches

Magnesium flares

butane lighter

Flashlight Head mounted- with spare batteries and bulb

Zip-Lock sandwich bags

Heavy duty trash bags - rain jacket, extra insulation, garbage

18" bow saw

"Hunting" knife

Wire cutters

Cash (best)/credit card

registration stuck to the underside of my seat

4-6 Bungee cords of various lengths

Vice grips.

2 quarters - phone or use with vice grips to pinch off gas or water line

baling twine (in a 20oz soda jug)

Military duct tape

35# Monofilament fishing line

hatchet

shovel.

toilet paper also starts fire

spare ATV key

spare fuses

spare spark plugs

an additional layer of clothing

high energy food

pan to melt snow and maybe a "Sterno"

long duration candles - light and heat

cilium stick -light

50' of 550 cord

Extra 100FT of winch cable

Clevis

Snack Block

Parallel Gripping pliers

Leather Gloves

2 10ft tow straps one fore and aft

12 X 10 Tarp

6 pole barn nails - hold a tarp in place

Ratchet straps - set a tire bead

Drive Belt

Bug Spay

Jumper Cables

Syringe and tubing

H2O washer to clean my radiator

Almost all goes in my $16.95 Wal-Mart box with a spider cover on top with room to spare

Tip: put a 6' length of 5/16" fuel line inside your handlebars the next time you have your handgrips off, (fold in half and insert) you will forget about it until you need that "Poormans credit card" great for siphoning gas in a pinch

Sorry, I don't buy it. Can't fit all that on an atv in one box. I have about a quarter of that list in my box and it is full. Although a little off the deep end, it is a very good list for reference to anyone else.