• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

short shaft outboard as a kicker?

mulletwalleyes

I have an 8hp merc 2 stroke that I used on an 12 ft row boat. I now have a 17.5 ft aluminum and was wondering if it was possible to use that motor as a kicker - I saw in other threads conversation regarding tiller versus remote. What is the difference? Is it possible to use a short shaft or do you have to have a long shaft. Does the motor have to be built with any special kicker options or will any old outboard work?

You'll want to go with a long shaft. Having said that, some companies have short shaft/long shaft conversion kits for their motors. Other than that, you'll want to be able to lift up your kicker when you're not using it. If you feel like tilting the motor manualy then be my guest. Otherwise you'll want to look at rigging a lift like a Panther 35.

Any smaller tiller outboard will work. I use a 6hp Yamaha Long Shaft 2-stroke tiller and theres nothing special done to it. You could try to run the short shaft on your boat as a kicker just do not go over say 4mph and make sure the motor is not overreving and is get water. For just slow trolling I think you could get away with the short shaft. May also want to talk to a Mercury dealer and see if you could get a 5" extension, longer driveshaft and pick-up tube. I converted my 57' Evinrude 18 to a long shaft.

Mulletwalleye, I tried running a short shaft 10 HP motor I borrowed as a kicker on a 17.5' Lund I had and it didn't work at all. The prop doesn't get deep enough to move the boat like it should, all it did was rev up, but it wouldn't hardly even move the boat. Better find a long shaft or a conversion kit for the one you've got.

You can use a bracket to install on transom, it will lower your motor into water, and you will be able to use a short shaft, here's what they look like:

i017511vr01.jpg

Vavl I have a ? for you I have a 97 115 johnson 2 stroke and I'm just wondering if I can use 6.5 horse older johnson 2 stroke the fuel line that goes to my big motor has a spot for a kicker just thinking about if I have to have a different fuel tank or will the motor mix the oil from my oil tank. I hope that this makes sense to you thanks jason

Quote:

Vavl I have a ? for you I have a 97 115 johnson 2 stroke and I'm just wondering if I can use 6.5 horse older johnson 2 stroke the fuel line that goes to my big motor has a spot for a kicker just thinking about if I have to have a different fuel tank or will the motor mix the oil from my oil tank. I hope that this makes sense to you thanks jason

that's a good question - my combination would be premix for the kicker and oil injected 2 stroke for the main

It's usually better posting your own thread instead of hijacking another, you will get more attention.

Anyway, if main motor is oil injected you cannot use same line since it will have straight gasoline, no premix.

If you have premix in tank you could use it depending on your oil ratio. Beware of splitting the line, we had some issues discussed in the past where some people had problems with siphoning air from main motor while running the kicker and viceversa.