• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mid 70's 6 h.p. Evinrude water pump question.

Hermit

I just bought a mid 70's 6 h.p. Evinrude. My question is if there is a way to tell if the water pump is working?? This is an older model that does'nt have a stream/[PoorWordUsage] port near the head. What can let me know if the water pump is working other than dropping the lower unit to visually inspect the impellor or running the motor for any length to see if she gets hot?

Does it have that weak sream/spray out an orfice on rear of lower unit? I think it would be wise to just replace it. It realy is not that had. With in and hour or two you could be done.

Shackbash is correct, you could try to run it and feel if powerhead gets hot.

NUMBER 1 issue to address when buying a used outboard is replace water pump impeller, regardless of what previous owner said, unless there is receipt with warranty statement (transferable) from dealer/mechanic who performed installation.

Why risk damaging whole motor when just few dollars can give you peace of mind ?

Trust me, I've bought hundreds of motors with "good water"......but they never did.

Water pump impellers are cheap and not hard to install. Just have to make sure it is installed in the right direction. If the motor doesn't have a hole for the water to shoot out near the power head water should come out the exhaust holes as well as the exhaust hole at the prop. Get a water pump put in or do it youself it will save you money in the long run. Even if it still pumps water there is a good chance the impeller is cracked or rotted.

The impellers I have installed cost under $10.00 and can go in any direction. They are rubber and have round tips at end of fin. I know there are all kind's. If you want to get a low down on how to do it, pick up a copy of a service manual. It help's alot! tongue.gif