• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kayak question

I'm fortunate to live near a small river with a good smallmouth population. I've used my canoe with good results. I've never used a kayak. I've watched others on the river fish from a kayak and it appears it takes much less effort to manuver than with my canoe. Is this true? How do they compare stability wise?

Any suggestions for a kayak to fish from for a 55 year old, overweight guy. I'm not looking at long trips or packing a bunch of gear. Just a hour or two on the river with a rod and small tackle box.

Thanks!

Much less effort to steer a kayak. Stability wise...a kayak actually has more secondary stability that a canoe...lower center of gravity on the water actually makes them less 'tippy' than a canoe.

As for a style...look for something with an open or larger cockpit. The Old Town Loon series, or the Predator (fishing kayak built on the Loon and Otter hulls) offer larger cockpits...easier to enter/exit. I have an Old Town Adventure XL...longer cock pit accommodates my long legs comfortably. The new models also have padded seats, which are a plus.

The only difficulty will be your initial entry...primary stability. Until you get used to it, starting out can seem a bit awkward..not as easy as stepping into a canoe...but once your in and on the water....you'll be in great position to chase those smallies!

Take a look at some of the older threads on this board. Some great info, and some pictures of angling rigged yaks.

good luck and good fishing/paddling