• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need new tripod

I would like to buy a tripod for a Nikon D-50. Cannot afford the Bogens w.grip heads etc. any more. I want a sturdy set of legs and a SINGLE control for vert. and horizontal movement. No local area store where I can SEE examples. Have given up on hsolist-prices too high and some of the sellers appear to be a little shaky! Thanks. shocked.gif

Ufatz, I use a Manfrotto ballhead tripod with an integral ballhead. In other words, it all comes of a piece and you don't have to buy the head separately. It supports something like eight pounds and works great for my body and 100-400L IS. Very strong and sturdy black aluminum, and not heavy. Aside from the levers to control the legs, there are only two others. One allows the center shaft to move up or down, the other tightens or loosens the ball. Period. Simple to use, rock solid unless you have a supertelephoto prime lens. Costs about $100, and it's ready to go out of the box, but I don't have the style number here. Post back here if you're interested and I'll put up the number later tonight.

Okay.Perfect. I used to have Bogen(s) and had the hand grip head on a couple, I think #3221 etc. Don't need and can't afford those. What you describe is perfect. I want one SHORT lever to lock/unlock head. My little D-50 is not heavy even with the larger lens. Thanks, appreciate it. I'll buy that rascal ASAP if you can help w/stock ID etc.

OK, it's the Manfrotto 724B. Mine is two years old. Manfrotto has updated it with the 725B, which adds a quick-release plate on the ballhead. This is a good addition, because the 724B's only drawback is that you have to loosen the ballhead and thread it on the lens/camera screw-in mount, which takes a bit of time.

The updated 725B is $110 where I shop online, but any of the big online photo retailers should have it, and for about that price.

That looks like a good price on a nice tripod. I have been looking to get a new one as well, the one I have is just a cheapo version from Quantaray and it doesn't do a great job at stabilizing the camera the way it should. Looks like something else I get to buy.

Tom

Ufatz, I do all my photo gear shopping online at Canoga Camera. If you put the dubyas in front of it and a dott and a comm at the end, that'll get you there. I just order it online and it's here in the hinterlands of Ely within a few days, or even sooner if I want to pony up a bit more cash for expedited shipping.

Jeez thats funny. Thats JUST where I ended up getting mine. Did some checking around within my Region and then found I could buy it reasonably and get FREE shipping.

It's on the way. I will file a review. grin.gif