• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting All The Water Out?

eyepatrol

How do most of you folks get the water out of your motors when the temps are below freezing like this? I'm going to be test-firing my motor this weekend for the first time this year, but with temps still getting into the teens overnight, I want to be sure to get all the water out.

What I've done in the past is just trim the motor down all the way and let it drain. Does this suffice, or is there a better way?

I run my boat all the time in sub freezing situations. Just make sure to trim her all the way down as soon as you get it on the trailer and then after it apprears that all has drained out, flip the emergency kill switch to "off" and crank the motor over a few times to clear the water pump impellor. Let sit for a minute, then your on your way.

Do NOT start out of the water. Even for a few seconds. The impellor is not designed to run dry at fast RPM's, and it makes a lot more revs than you think in just a few seconds. It will not only reduce the life of the impellor, but can smear rubber on the inside of your housing. Some guys will argue about this, but talk to any marine mechanic that is knowledgeable and they will tell you the same. The only thing that should stop you from getting your boat out for a run is frozen water...... grin.gif