• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lawn question?

fish2live

in my front yard there are these clumps of grass that stick up higher than the rest of the lawn i don't know where they came from because it started out flat when i soded when we built. any idea how to get my lawn flat again?

Are there actual bumps in the lawn or is it just taller grass? Very few lawns are only one variety of grass. There is usually a couple different varieties of grass and they will all grow different times and at different rates. This helps keep it lush thick and green during the entire growing season.

If you really have lumps in the soil you can use a roller and try to dig it and see the problem. If you have moles then you are going to have to look at methods for removing them.

Sounds like clumps of fescue, or rye. About the only thing you can do is to cut them out, fill in the hole with dirt, and reseed with Kentucky Bluegrass.

Are they a lighter shade green than the rest of your grass?

rolling wont do anything if its just a different type of grass. Most likely its a fescue or quackgrass. If you want them gone you can dig them out or treat the specific areas with something like roundup.

Quote:

rolling wont do anything if its just a different type of grass. Most likely its a fescue or quackgrass. If you want them gone you can dig them out or treat the specific areas with something like roundup.

This IS pretty much your only answer. However, know that once you treat the area with round-up, that you're going to have to reseed that area.

If you want an instant fix, cut out however many clumps you have, and then go get a couple rolls of sod and piece them in, once you get the other areas cut out.