• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I Pulled The Trigger

Well, thanks guys for the advice, I finally settled on a 12-foot Liquid Logic Manta Ray Kayak. I'm going to launch it on Rice Creek tomorrow. I'll post a pic of the thing when I get a chance. From now on - I'M A KAYAKER!

Quote:

Well, thanks guys for the advice, I finally settled on a 12-foot Liquid Logic Manta Ray Kayak. I'm going to launch it on Rice Creek tomorrow. I'll post a pic of the thing when I get a chance. From now on - I'M A KAYAKER!

Way to go, just be careful of the current and snags. Lots of

debris in the creek this time of year and it might catch you

off guard. Spent a lot of years exploring the rice creek area

when I lived in Coon Rapids for 34 years. If this is your

first time out in your new kayak a lake or really slow

river would be best to learn in.

Have fun in your new Kayak. grin.gif

Should've mentioned it was the wide part of Rice Creek where it flows into George Watch Lake - so no current. I won't take it out in current unless it either warms up or I get pretty comfortable with my new boat.

Kayak performed very well. Can't wait to fish out of it! I think I'm going to need an anchoring system. Very stable, goes pretty fast for a widebody boat, turns very quick and tracks straight if I paddle it right. I chased a flock of coots around, spooked some trumpeter swans, snuck up on a muskrat, and also saw buffleheads, bluebills, and ringneck ducks.

I LOVE the seat on the Manta Ray, it's very comfortable and adjustable. Stays dry in the cockpit, except an inch of water that occasionally appears in the forward end of the footwell scuppers, then drains out immediately. Pretty darn happy with the kayak.

Thats cool, Been years since I have been near there, last time

I was there they had the lake drained. Many years ago. Was not

sure if you knew much about the rest of the creek. grin.gif

Well, I learned a little more today - I put in on Rice Creek just above the Ammunition plant on Cty road I and kayaked upstream about half a mile. It was beautiful. I'd go again tomorrow if there wasn't going to be a storm.