• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

flowering trees

loosegoose

When I lived in the country I planted some Flowering crabapple trees with the white blossom. You can also purchase the non fruit variety and they look very nice in the spring and early summer until the wind blows all the flowers off.

This tree does not get that tall either. Mine were kind of short and wide.

The wife has been talking about planting a Japanese lilac tree. There is one planted behind the local bank. About 10 - 12' tall, no seeds and the smell of the blooms is heavenly. Nice rounded shape and no getting snapped in the face while mowing.

The Crab apple tree that you are talking about with white flowers is a Spring Snow Crabapple. White flowers, not fruit and gets to be about 20' tall by about 15' white. The only crabapple tree that does not have fruit.

Japanese Tree Lilacs are a very nice tree. Smell wonderful when flowering...

be careful when you are planting crabapple trees, look for ones that are disease resistant to apple scab or your tree will look sickly from late july on. most time the fungus won't kill the tree but you will be raking up leaves on a weekly basis. my vote would be for japanese lilac aswell. they are drought resistant and can tolerate a variety of soil.

Although finding disease resistant trees is important, don't be turned away from trees that you like just caus ethey can be susceptible to disease. Apple Scab and other leaf funguses cane be easily controlled with a couple regualr fungicide treatments in the spring. You can buy the sprayer that hooks to your hose at and garden store or nursery. You spray when the leaves pop and again after 7-10 days avoiding any rain. Pretty easy and cheap and you can have any crabapple or Hawthorne tree you want.

Have any of you ever done anything with Star Magnolias? I've seen them at a couple different shops and they seem to be a decent size. I need to replace my front two trees, got a little close with the whacker.

Star Mags look to be an ok choice. They need full sun with a moist, fertile soil. It says they are a Zone 4 plant so that would place them as hardy enough for MN. I owuld say to give them a shot. Make sure you get a plant warrenty in case they fail in the first year, but otherwise it seems like a nice choice for an ornamental tree.