• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Reports

Hey Guys!

I have been on FM for a while now but I lost my password and I changed my e-mail address...So I had to create a new login name.

Question:

Myself and a couple buddies are thinking about coming up to Devils Lake next weekend (3/30) and aren't sure if driving the 7 hours is going to be worth it. We have heard mixed reports on the walleyes, perch, and pike. What is the true report? Is there a good bite or is it hit and miss this year? Of the fish that are being caught, are they decent size? How much ice do you guys have? Would a guy need an extension? I called out to the "Perch Patrol" and he said the the perchin has been slow but the walleyes seem to bite moring and night! Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance guys!

Chad

I am heading out the door right now for the evening bite at Devisl Lake. I will be home sunday night and will post accurate report for our luck anyway. I have heard that the eyes are moving shallow small ones during the day and bigger ones at night.

Ok here is what I know for sure. Fish were not under our fish house on saturday. We ran 8 different baits, eight different depths, eight different presentations. I was visitign with the guy at Pete's Bait on East side of Town. He told us they had been biting but had quit after the storm the other day. There is a lot of ice, may want to bring and extension just in case. Becarfull though, A guy fell through near the bridge at Mauvees Coolee.

We fished 3 feet of water to 20 feet of water near the trees near the road by the bridge in Six Mile Bay. We check out'd out Zeibachs Pass in Grahm island also but did see much activity and the landing sucked.

YOu will need 4x4 with good clearance. We had a hard time when we hit drifts and ruts. I would guess though after a good week or two of weather you may do ok. I would check out the bait shop on the east end of town in you go, I heard he is pretty accurate with his reports.

Did you catch any fish? If so, was there any size? I was checking out the 10-day weather report on weather.com and it is shaping up to be a pretty consistant week. Temps in the mid to upper 40 and hitting over 50 by Saturday and Sunday. Maybe if the weather has a chance to straighen out the fish might turn on. It would be awesome sitting on the ice in a t-shirt on saturday and sunday catching those jumbos!!! Thanks again!

Chad

Just got back from DL. We had a guide out of the west side for Thur. and Fri and on our own on Sat. We thought Fishing was really poor. We caught 18 perch on Thur and that was the high so Fri we went for eyes and pike. Caught one eye and about 10 pike from 2-4 pounds. On Sat we did not catch any perch and went for eyes in the afternoon and night and ended up with 1 eye and 1 pike. Not a very good fishing trip for driving from MPLS. Can't blame the lake just not a good time because of all the snow on Thurs morning. I know the perch we did get was with wax worms and a very and I mean very little jigging motion. I have never fished jigging that little of movement. Hope this helps. [YouNeedAuthorization]

Does anyone have any ideas if weather or not you think the fish are going to bite this weekend? I am sitting here pondering what to do. Do I drive the 7 hours and hope they bite while sitting on the lake in my t-shirt in 60 degree heat or do stay home and wonder what I was missing out on?!?!?!? I am going NUTS!! ANY help from the locals would be helpful. What are your predictions? Think the fish will turn on? I NEED SOME HELP ON THIS DECISION!!! Thanks fellow FM'ers!!

Chad

Well me and my buddys were out at Devils Lake the weekend of the 16-17-18 and we killed them. We got out to Devils Lake Thursday night, drank to much and didnt get up untill 8:30 on Friday, we got out to the spot were we were going to fish at 9:30 I drilled 6 or 7 holes and sat down no more than did so and had one of those jumbo perch on, from there on out we continued to pull them in by 11:30 we had our limit of Waleyes for the day! Sizes ranged from 2-6 LBS so of the 20 fish they were all pretty nice. The perch we had probably 10 or so that went 1-11/2LBS. The next day we did the same had our limit and went back to the cabin by noon! As far as I can say fishen was hot!

Sounds pretty good. We are leaving tomorrow after work to venture up there for the first time and feel a little hestant of going. But after reading your report. It sounds like a go. We are coming from White Bear Lake, Mn, and was wondering if you could give us a general area on where to go. It would be greatly appreciated.

Been there a couple times in the last week and did fair to good on walleyes, really easy to get a limit of northerns if thats what you like. Didnt try for perch at all so no perch. Going again tomorrow evening for the walleye bite. This week been in the area between Strommes and the dairy farm.

Here is my report for the weekend. Went out from Woodland Resort, had to say they were really cool about everything, We camp in the fish house right at the launch first morning and the last morning. No beef from them guys. They gave us some pointers on where to go. Friday through sunday we had the fish house on the ice as a camp and ventured out with portables and a wheeler. No guides were used as this was our first time, we were targeting those peacock bass, and only them with some bonus fish and we did fairly excellent. Friday we managed to get 12 perch and 5 of them were jumbos, I mean pigs. One walleye at 6 pounds, in the 40ft of water with lots of cigar walleyes. In the evening we ended up with a 3 pound walleye and a northern. Saturday was the worst day of the weekend. Got two jumbos and a couple of cigars walleyes and perch. Sunday was our best day, ended up catching over 70 perch, and half of them were the pigs. Bait were frostee spoons, doodle bug spoon and Mr. Waxie with minnows and waxies. Thanks guys for making our first trip up there a memoriable one.