• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1/15/02 report

curt quesnell

Red Lake crappies will bite when you find
them! The best Red Lake fisherpeople still
struggle once in a while and a blind squrrel
(me) will find an acorn if he looks long
enough.

We started at the breaker and caught perch
after perch and saw the remnants of a
busy weekend with all the old holes and the
anglers piling in as the afternoon progressed.

Remembering the good advice "get away from the crowd" we did. We went north to the
end of all the house and set up there in
13 feet of water (?). It didnt take long
to get the first crappie in the bucket.
The Vexilar would light up like crazy when
the schools would come thru.

I used only one line and that had the
pink and white Angle Eye jr on it. The
guy I was fishin with was using the Northland
Buckshot Rattle Spoon with glow white on the
back. It was close but I still havent been
beat using Angel Eyes for Walleyes or Crappies.

We had 6 Crappies that were 14 inches long!!!
It was just incredible. We quit early with
18 fish, cleaned them at West Wind and came
home.

In three trips we caught 4, 7 and 18 fish.
Its not a "gimme". Since the fish are roaming the flat you need to move around
some to find Crappies, and when you do they
will bite.

Move around to find fish.....Get away from
the crowd...

Good Luck

Curt Quesnell

Curty

Sounds like I'll be up that way saturday, I'm meeting a guy who's buying an ouboard from me. He's coming from Duluth so URL sounds like a good meeting place for us. Managed to get some angel eyes from Denny's in Roseau. They sure worked good yesterday 33', near border reef on "the woods", was using the perch clored one with gold on the back. I may have a new "favorite" jigging bait! I will put a pink/glow on for URL per your recomendation...YUM crappies!

I'm stuck home today....bummer!

curt very sound advice. i agree 100 %
one thing i would ad is if you have a group of guys with more than one portable, take advantage of your ability to spread out a little(spreadoutability)---it's a scientific term--. insted of being huddled up in a tight little group. you shouldn't have to go to far either. 100yds tops. like we've heard before, some times just 50 feet will make the big difference between chugging a cold one at w.w. by 9:00, and wondering why you didn't stay home. ju7st keep in touch with your guys, and if one of the spots is "hot" then don't be afraid to move. last weekend, i asked an uncle if he wanted to move to another spot i had in mind, --nope, to **** much trouble. o.k. then. my brother and myself proceded with our plans. even went an extra 50 yds than we were going to, and slammed the crappies. a little hassle? depends how you look at it. i didn't drive all that way to save myself from a little hassel. i do know what i did drive there for-------oh yeah take a guess how that uncle did while we were gone.
be open minded, and keep your stick on the ice----------- smile.gif jigglestick-------

when using the Angel Eye's what do ya tip em' with, a minnow head....a waxie....etc. Any ifo would help. Thanks a bunch!

------------------
If I'm not in the duck blind or the ice house I'm thinking about it!!

BemidjiDUX,

I have been tipping the Angel Eye Jrs. with just the head of a minnow. Hook it thru the hard part of the head. When you see the fish on your locator quiver the spoon and if the fish will not take it the lure then slooooowly lift your rod tip. If the fish follows the lure then began the quiver method again. Be sure to watch for slack in your line. Many times they will hit and swim up without you even feeling the bite.

Good Luck,
Jeff
Scenic Tackle

I used the Angel Eye for the first time tonight. Like Buddy Ryan said about Cris Carter, all it did was catch fish. :-)
I had better luck with a live side hooked minnow then with only the head but that could have been the bite tonight. Most of them had inhaled minnow hook and "Eye".

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Curt,

Work is going to "force" me to be up on Red Lake on Friday afternoon. I know it sounds bad...sounds really bad but I really need to provide for my family and all so I think I just may "have" to fish while up there. It is a tough thing to "have" to fish but I feel it just has to be done.

Now I am wondering if perhaps your work would be so terrible that you would just "have" to work up there too??

Glad you finally took the plunge Kelly and have used the Angel Eye Jr. With your stamp of approval now I KNOW they are working great up there!! Now you also know why everyone is singing:

"pretty little angel eye
pretty little angel eye
pretty little, pretty little
pretty little, pretty little
pretty little angel eye"

Glad to see that they produced for you. This one has not let us down. I have, like you, found days that the fish do want that whole minnow. So each day we just need to figure out what it is that they want. Whole minnow or a part of a minnow.

I have to go with Kelly on this one. I have been tipping the Angel Eye Jr's with the whole crappie minnow. That seems to be the ticket for me. They sure are sweet!!

Jeff, don't work to hard on Red now, there are Angels Eyes to be made. I am still trying to think of a reason that my business has to send me up there.

I should add that in the Winnie tournament my partner was having really good luck with just the head of the minnow but in general, I have found an entire crappie minnow to work best.ScottS

Can't get enought of those "pretty little Angel Eyes"

[This message has been edited by ScottS (edited 01-17-2002).]

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

ScottS and Duckaholic won the Winnie Event and yes, they liked those

"Pretty Little Angel Eyes"