• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mutant fish

Today I was fishing for carp in a minnesota river backwater and i caught a fish ive never seen before. I forgot my camera at my house so I couldn't get a picture of it. Ive caught Quillback, mooneye, goldeye, buffalo, and carpsuckers, before and it wasn't any of those. It had a blueish tint to it and was the shape of a goldeye or mooneye, it had the eye of a goldeye, and the dorsal fin was similar to a quillback, I dont know how to explain the dorsal fin but Ill try, it was similar to a redhorse or carp, but in the back of the dorsal fin where it attaches to his body it had about a 5 inch quill, the quill was coming out where the fin attaches to the body so it wasn't a quillback. The fish was about 18 inches long and weighed maybe a pound and a half. Ive looked all over the internet and im pretty sure I caught some sort of mutant fish.

Well after I looked on the internet for a while I came to conclusion that it was a very large and sick gizzard shad, I went back to the same spot yesterday and there was a bunch of dead shad that looked similar to the fish I caught, just alot smaller.

I've got a giant gizzard shad left over from last year in my freezer. Every time I open up the freezer to get a pack of venison steaks, that dang shad is staring at me. It seems like he's saying "Go Catfishing!!!". And I got half a mooneye in there, too. OK, now I know I've got fishing fever ... my cut bait is starting to talk to me ....