• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Bird! (pic included)

jonny_redhorse

(I had the good fortune to photograph a bird I've never seen before! shocked.gif...on a morning drive(Sax-Zim Bog),I saw this lone bird jump from it's perch,saw a commotion, and watched it "nail" a mouse on the snow..took the mouse up in a popple tree and"stuck" it on a sharp limb...go figure shocked.gif...after looking the bird up in my national audubon bird guide(yup...there it was grin.gif).turned out to be a "loggerhead shrike"....image wasn't perfect as I took it at full zoom from about 50' hand held....mr loggerhead made my saturday morning ...grin.gifjonny

NOTE shocked.gif...i think I blew it!.I think it's a "Northern Shrike", not a logger head grin.gif(quite similar)....well...it's still a nice bird grin.gif

Frame_DSCF6809-1copynorthernshrikecopy.j

Frame_DSCF6808-1copy.jpg

Nice pictures. I had one hanging out at my house for nearly the whole day on Saturday. This is the second one I have seen in my life. I live in Cherry. It was catching bugs along the foundation of my house. I left in the morning at noonish and it was still there when I got back in the evening. On my way out I thought it was a gray jay till I looked closer. I snapped a couple shots in a hurry. By the way, hello everyone this is my first post. I just bought a canon rebel xt so hope to post some better shots soon. I've been reading the forum for quite sometime. I thought it was interesting that our sightings were a day apart.

shrike.jpg

shrike2.jpg

shrike3.jpg

Hey Jay, welcome to FM. Glad to see you here. grin.gif

And nice captures. I'll have to start putting bugs in my foundation if that's what it takes to get close to shrikes. grin.gif

Be sure to show us more work with that XT, and thanks for sharing.

Hey, I just saw another one by the Hibbing Airport off of Swinnerton Rd. There is a no maintence rd right behind the airport off of Swinnerton and it was taking a bath in a puddle. Of course I did not bring my camera. confused.gif

Quote:

Of course I did not bring my camera.
confused.gif

What were you thinking? blush.gif

The rule is that the best photo opps happen when you don't have the camera. My wife gets so disgusted that I tote my gear everywhere we go. Honey, I say, if I don't bring it, that will be the time a wolf pops out of the bush.

The Shrikes are around all year but prefer open areas which don't necessarily correspond to people. Here in the cities area, the Northern is here in the winter and the Loggerhead migrates back for the spring/summer. The neat thing about the Shrikes is they will impale some of their food on thorns. If you see lizards, insects, or small mammals on spikes around your yard, it is not haunted.