• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any thoughts on the Polaris Ranger RZR?

McGurk

Saw this thing on late night TV, and thought it was a joke. The more I looked into it, though, the more I liked it: Polaris built, 760(800)cc, side-by-side, 50" width, 950lbs, Low center of gravity, on demand AWD, room for gear, not too out there expensive. The only thing I don't like about it is that in MN it would still be considered a class 2 atv due to weight only (over 900 lbs), and therefore very restricted on trails like other side-by-sides.

Any thoughts?

I have been looking at side by sides for a while now. I want one strictly for ice fishing so trail access is not a concern for me. It appears that the box is quite small. I like the idea of it being a class2 atv as it then can be driven on the right side of public roadways that are not 4 lane or interstate highways. I have talked to my local CO and he says that they realize that the laws are not keeping up with the ATV world and to expect changes in the law as it is now written so maybe they will allow the narrower RZR on trails in the future.

Looks more like a dune buggy or a toy to play with in the sand. It doesn't look like you could use it for type of hauing or working. Yeah so it's faster than the rhino but when are you doing 60 mph down a trail? confused.gif

Remember, manufacturers don't build machines just for Minnesota. Out west, in the dunes, Yamaha Rhinos are very popular and Polaris is going after some of that market. Once you drive one of the rec side-by-sides, it'd be tough for you to get out of one. Very fun vehicles.

My initial thoughts exactly, but I am reserving judgement until I see and drive one though. Pretty much every one needs a trailer to pull your rig around anyways so just get a narrow one to pull behind your rig for your hauling. I don't think most rec drivers have a lot of working need for their rides as heavy as some side-by-sides are designed. Polaris still makes their regular Ranger and Sportsman lines for the heavy workers. It is most definitely more rec toy than workhorse, but there is a growing percentage of "more play than work" buyers/drivers. Polaris is just the first to capitalize on it out of the factory; I gotta think if it sells other lines will follow.

Quote:

Yeah so it's faster than the rhino but when are you doing 60 mph down a trail?

I'll wholeheartedly agree about the 60 mph on a trail, but c'mon; it's all about who is the quickest when you are looking at these things, especially when looking for a toy. Not a workhorse, but a toy. There is a growing segment across the country that will get tapped by someone. If you do some looking around online you can find some pretty crazy side-by-side customizers and race-modded rides.

Man, rereading this I am coming off as a Polaris shill! Just excited for a new segment, I guess.

With the new ATV law, I think you should be able to drive this on shoulders of highways and other roads. You would be off limits to ditches though and I'm not sure about the trails.