• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Diversify a bit more...

Okay so I've basically been getting male responses on this forum, which it wonderful and very helpful!!! But, I know I'm not the only female that enjoys the outdoors. How can we get more women involved on this site??? Any ideas?

I live in the Fargo area and spend my summers in Mn fishing (although I hit the hot spots in ND too). I have been looking for a forum for women who enjoy the sport and came across this one by accident. Hooray!! I am as excited as you seem to be about the sport and will do my best to get the word out about this site. I think its no coincidence that the fishing is always better with a woman in the boat smile.gif

Thanks for the warm reply. I think I'm going to like this forum already!

When I lived in Western ND, I fished the tailraces by the Garrison Dam, some small lakes including Tschida by Glen Ullen, Fish Creek (for trout) an had the pleasure of renting a cabin off Sakakegawea for an entire summer in the Beulah Bay area. I've also fished the Missouri river south of Bismarck. Now that I live in the FM area, I fish mainly the Dl and Park Rapids area lakes. In fact, would love to find a small lake spot to rent year round. I'd like to try my hand at flyfishing this year. I'm sure there are a number of great trout spots in the Park Rapids area? Do you trout fish?

P.S. Was going to use that quote as my signature. What do you think? laugh.gif

You might want to check out the Women Anglers of Minnesota. We have a number of members from the F/M area. They have a tournament every year. It is on Lake Koronis near Paynesville on May 5th. Typically they have about 100+ participants, multi species. It's a great time.

It is a pretty good time. Koronis is an interesting lake to fish if you can get by all the carp.

I believe WAM is going to be updating their info shortly according to the most recent newsletter. FYI- the tournament is a team event, 2+ people in the boat, multi species ( walleye, northern, crappie, bass and sunfish ) with prizes awarded in all categories for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Ease off is at 5:30 and you fish till 2:00. If you like to tournament fish this is a good one to check out.

Don't know how long you have been in the Park Rapids area but WAM had the tournament many years on Fishhook lake right in Park Rapids. The last one on Fishhook I think was in 2005. WAM has a number of members who fish the tournament that live in PR. One of the best crappie spots on that lake/river are in the hanging trees on the river. The huge one right in front of Lee's Riverside holds BIG crappie and the ones just up the river from Lee's on the right side : smirk.gif I have lost more bobbers than I can count fishing those tree's...

Thank you for the info rlwymfsh. I've been in the PR area since I was little girl, but my family isn't much for the fishing scene. It's something I've sorta built a passion for myself. I'll definitley be checking out this tourney. I actually got contacted by another woman interested in teaming up. I'll keep ya posted! Thanks again! smile.gif

When we are out on the lake fishing, I notice there are many more men then women on the lake and teach them how to fish. I invite my girlfriends out on the boat without guys all of the time and take them fishing. Some of them have hubby's who want to fish and not want to teach them how to or answer questions.

I went out on the boat last weekend with my youngest son and there were guys all around the crappie hole looking at me funny.

Yes it is true, women can launch, fish and retrieve without a guy! laugh.gif

Amen honey smile.gif and let me tell ya, I totally relate.

You tell a guy you fish, they give you a weird look. You show a guy you fish, they just plain stare. Entertaining if you ask me. Glad to hear you're out on the water.

P.S. Pleasure to meet you Fishing4Miles.

This is my first post on this side of the forum. From reading most of the posts so far, you women are pretty good at fishing. I'd like to take some of you on my boat if you didn't live so far from me.

I used to fish alone or with a male friend, we do and still catch fish but our numbers weren't anything to brag about. When I go fishing with my wife, we decimate the fishing population. I always seem to hook up more fish when she goes fishing with me. She loves to go fishing and a good one to say the least. She even managed to pull in a 4lb channel cat all by herself.

So to say the least, I'm not one of them guys that will give you funny looks when you tell me how to fish or show me another way to fish. I'm always open for options since it takes versatility according to the lake and situation.

If you women folks would like to try something on the East Metro lakes, let me know. I'd like to make a new friend and maybe you can meet your new female fishing partner.

Hi everyone! I actually feel intimidated running our boat. I guess I never had a knack for that. Of course I do love to fish and have caught my fair share but to enter a tournament would be "out of my depth"! (pun intended?!) Do any you FM women enter tournaments and how have you done? Does anyone know of any women who run their own rig? Am I the only wussy gal out there not running the boat? Wow. Maybe.

shocked.gifLisa

I would love to enter a tournament, and I'm not that great of a fisherwoman, cool.gif mainly because I dont get to go often enough. The river is so poluted here I wont keep anything, its hardly worth going. mad.gif BUT I am 2 weeks away from going up there and I CAN NOT WAIT ! ! ! ! ! ! grin.gifgrin.gif We are bringing the boat so show me a good spot and I'll drive!!

By the way I still dont know where we are camping at. I have canceled reservations twice now. There is one place that looks pretty cool and I can park the boat right at the tent site BUT they dont take reservations. I would hate to drive 1700 miles and not have a place to pitch the tent. Do you guys know anything about this place?

(Noye from Admin.Please read forum policy before posting again,Thank-You.)

Hi. I haven't posted for quite awhile, so hello. I have been fishing since I was 9 yrs. old. It started out with a can of worms, a bamboo pole, & my mom smoking a whole pack of cigs. when my sister dumped all the worms in the water. I've come a long way since then. The thing I'm getting @ is practice. I used that bamboo pole til I was 21 yr. Then learned how to cast, & not very good. Well, then it was babies, work, house, ..... Then divorce, move, new marriage, to a fisherman. He taught me how to really fish. It took 1.5 hours of him starting out quietly, then shall I say raising his voice, and an audience of young kids, laughing ( oh, I mean encouaging me) as I drove the boat up on the trailer. Needless, to say, that was almost 13 yrs ago. We have moved up the boat chain, going from a 12 footer to 18 foot musky boat. I run that boat left & right. I still can barely back it up, so he does that. The rest is all me. We were out on a musky lake up north last week end. When I dropped my husb. off @ the launch to get the truck, there was a man trying to drive his boat up on the trailer. I admire his attempts, & could empasize.

Well, what I am getting @ is, when it was my turn, I got the boat on in one smooth move. Usually, I hear, that's a girl, or good job. this time I heard, " Is she better than me or just dumb luck." Yepper, my response, " I'm better than you."

Go, tournie, practice. Char grin.gif

Hey everyone,

How is fishing going. Just got a 14'boat and have been hitting the lakes a little bit. doing pretty good on sunnies trying to troll for northerns and not much luck there. good luck everyone.