• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I would hire a guide. It takes a lifetime to learn the river. A lot of guys fish the hex hatch which occurs in late June or early July for a week or so. About that time a few lake run browns will start to move in with the peak happening in mid-August to the start of Sept. These lake runs are fished for at night. As I mentioned before, if you want to catch fish and learn the river, hire a guide.

You'll get fresh lake run browns in the fall and wintered over lake runs in the spring when fishing for steelies. You won't find lake runs during the hex hatch, but the upper brule also has a good population of large resident browns. I would also recomend hiring a guide or get ready to put in some time and work. People who spend years learning the brule are pretty tight lipped about giving up spots and techniques that took a lifetime to learn.

I was lucky enough to join some friends for one of the "late" night brown runs......didn't have any luck, but I was "lucky" to be part of that group. I will never go back to that spot by myself or with anybody else but them. Not because I feel like I would fish it out, but because they put the time in to find it and I was just lucky to enjoy the fruits of their labor. On the other hand, you can do a search and find some more specific info. in this thread. Good luck and maybe we'll see you out there!