• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to start looking

CrappieAttitude

I was plowing all weekend with my 98 grizz, and all was well until last night. As I was getting ready for one last clean up, my main fuse blew and I lost everything. I thought no problem, I can replace the 30amp fuse and be on the road again in no time. As I put the new fuse in it gave me a spark and blew the new one. I know that I have a short someplace, but is there any particular place to start looking. I am just glad it happened 3 feet from my garage and not on the lake pulling my house off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CA

Does it have a rotary switch or a contactor with a toggle for the winch control? Since you were plowing, depending on how you have it wired the first thing I'd do is unhook the wiring to the winch and try another fuse. If its not that I guess I'd start looking at any harnesses that may have been damaged while plowing and lastly, its possible that something may have just gotten wet with all the snow melting. Let us know what you find....

well instead of trying a fuse try a multi meter if you can get access take off your hot from the battery and then check from the + cable to the frame on the ohms setting if theres a dead short which it sounds like you should have a reading of 1 or 2 ohms or so then start disonnecting things one at a time till you find it make sure to hook each back up if it doesnt go away so you dont forget where they go hope this helps

Well I got it figured out last night. What had happened is a little clip that was holding my wire harness away from the exaust had busted, and this led to the wires making contact with the hot exaust. Once it got hot enough it melted the wires right to the pipe. This made a definate dead short. We were able to peel away all of the melted plastic from the mess of little wires and there were three that were needed to be re-connected. All in all it was a relatively easy fix, and we were able to red-green it with zip ties so it shouldn't ever get close to the exaust again.

CA

Thanks for the replies guys!