• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snow/winter grass seed application

FOOTDOC

I have some old time patients that tell me that one of the best times to scatter grass seed is on the melting snow. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience with this. My yard is two years old and I think just a bit thin. Last fall, I rented a power seeder and did that job in late September. The grass came up to an extent but I was a bit disappointed as we had a very long fall and I thought more grass would surface. So, I would appreciate your opinions on scattering grass seed over melting snow. Thanks and think spring.

I had an old bag of grass seed laying around, and was cleaning my garage out in the winter, I sprinkled it around, it came up better then any grass seed I have spread before. I dont know why, just what happened with me.

The seeds will not germinate until the soil temperature rises above 55-60, so why scatter it on the snow? Its not going to sprout until the ground gets to that temp. The birds are also going to gobble it up like there's no tomorrow! Just give it some time-spring will be here soon! smile.gif

Justin