• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

USING VEHICLE FOR A SHACK

Joel Taylor

I can't believe that more crazy Minnesotans don't cut holes in the bottom of their trucks for ice fishing! IT WORKS KILLER!

A piece of pvc tube from the vehicle to the hole in the ice keeps the wind out of the vehicle and your hole.

When you wanna move pull up the tube and start your truck! winnejeffstug002.jpg

Here is a picture of a fish in the tube through the floor of my enclosed trailer.

I use the trailer for a killer hardside shack that doubles as my atv hauler. (enclosed trailer keeps salt off my wheeler and can pull behind wheeler for thinner ice) grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifbaydenoc30003.jpg

Just so you know I believe you need a fish house license if you are fishing out of your truck like that in Minnesota otherwise you will be ticketed. It is on page 58 in the regulations.

"All shelters, which include dark houses, fish houses, and portable shelters, placed on the ice of Minnesota waters must have the complete name and address or driver’s license number or Minnesota DNR number of the owner plainly and legibly displayed on the outside in letters, and figures at least 2 inches in height. Dark houses, fish houses, and portable shelters placed on the ice for shelter while fishing must be licensed..."

Hey joel, you vexilar looks familar, Hmmmmm, oh yea I gave it back to ya after ya left on the ice by my vehicle when you helped me load my sled then ya drove off last march at Long Point. I looked looked down and said Hey the fish gods are pleased with me, they left me a vexilar, but soon realized that some poor fisherman that was preoccupied with selling his invention had left it behind after being a good samaritan. So what could I do but return the favor an give the vexilar back to it's rightful owner. Oh by the way you fish elevator works great, having had the pleasant experience of capturing several fish this year that got off in the hole. Thanks Later boar Hey I have planned on doing the hole through my truck floor when I plan on retireing it for a new one. I've seen that before an it works great. Say you have a shelter tag for your truck right? Cause thats what it is if you have altered it to fish out of.

boar, wow man! small world! Thanks again for rescuing my vex for me. I would have gone into shock and gotten very ill without my baby, I love her!

Hope the elevator works great for ya!

If your ever down my way I'll put you on some tastys!

Thanks Again!

Joel Taylor

Just a couple questions, How long does it take to line up the hole ? Or do you have a hole in the roof, so you can drill a hole from inside your truck? Can you use the hole in the truck for other things when your driving? Whats the best thing to use when cutting this hole?

Mydogsnaps,

Well the best way I found was to park, put the pvc down to the ice to mark spot, then jam a 2x4 under back wheel, then pull forward, then drill hole, then back up to the 2x4. This works very well.

As far as the hole goes tell the wife it will help on long family trips when the kids need to go to the bathroom, the kids will enjoy this too, especially for #2. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

My Buddys Suburban, this is a fishing machine only equaled only by his sons suburban, that one has a hole for the camera in front and the camera is mounted above the passenger seat. Notice the dual holes and permanently fastened locators. Beautiful Hounds Too!~!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifwinne07008.jpg

Hey Joel, I did the same thing several years ago to an old camper van that I had. Worked just fine, carpeted, heated, insulated, all the comforts. Then one day this guy in a green suit wanted to see my shelter license. Well I couldn't convince him that the vehicle was already licensed so I quit using it for a fish house. Good thing I did too, cause when Spring arrived, the van kinda smelled like a fish cleaning shack. The wife wouldn't ride with me anymore.

Have fun

Jack