• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Central Bassman

Okoboji Bass

Was thinking for maybe heading down there this spring seen there season start early... Was wondering what the lake is like and just anything about it?? I have never been on the lake so any info will help... Thanks

West Okoboji gives up some great largemouth and smallies each year. Spirit Lake is another excellent choice for smallmouth. Spring of the year (April and May) would be excellent choices for when to chase them.

caught my first 'wall hanger' out of west when i was in high school. 21' 7lb. have since caught bigger, and kind of regret taking a fish like that out of the lake, but i was a dumb kid cool.gif

I was out on West Okoboji this past summer doing a little muskie fishing over by emerson bay and brought my bass stuff along as well. After fishing skies for a while decided to throw for some bass. Started of with the rattle trap out over some weed beds and caught a few. Finally got close enough to the docks and started throwing a spinnerbait and started to nail em. Caught a lot of fish that day all were in the 1 to 2lb range. It was a blast. I love bass fishing down at the lakes and look forward to getting down there again this year

docks, points, weeds. west has it all it is a clear lake, and the deepest of the IGL. you have a legit chance at a 5lber, smallie or largemouth. surely others can tell you more specifics. it's been a few years since i've fished it cool.gif

i have had some good luck on Spirit for smallies the three weeks before the walleye opener down there. mostly pitching jigs around rocks. have also caught some on west lake between eagle and pocahontas points. and from seeing them ice fishing and catching a few there are some really nice bass in both lakes. my best advice to someone new to the igl area is to get a good map and study it because there are too many good spots on there to mention and try.