• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beer Batter

1 cup flower

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1 teaspoon paprika

1 egg

1 cup warm stale beer

Mix all ingredients in bowl. Dry fillets thoroughly with paper towel and cut into pieces. Dunk fish pieces in batter and deep fry at 375 until golden brown. Enjoy!

Roscoe16

I use Gary Roach's seasoning mixed with warm beer. That is the key... open a beer several hours before cooking and let it warm to room temp.

As stated before, make it fairly runny.

Then soak fillets in milk for 10-15 minutes (removes blood)

roll in dry seasoned flour first (this keeps the beer batter from seperating from fillet), then dip in runny beer batter to coat fillet, then immediatley roll in a bowl of Panko (rice breading, buy it in the Asian foods aisle) to finish coating fish.

Deep fry in oil that is 350 degrees till golden and floating. I use a turkey cooker as I can fry up a huge batch at once.

Serve with tarter sauce and cocktail sauce... people surprising love the taste of cocktail sauce with battered fish once they try it.

This is an awesome way to get a real crispy beer batter... everytime I've served it people have loved it. I usually only do this a couple times a year, and usually only for bigger groups as it's easier to serve large amounts of beer battered - deep fried fish, than pan frying them all.

Good Luck!

Ken

I use this batter to fry fish or veggies in which is light and crispy.

1 1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup Corn meal

2 Tbsp Old Bay

1 Tbsp Cajun Seasoning

1 beer(or enough to get it to the right consistency)

Use less or more of the seasoning to your taste.

Bisquick

salt

pepper

HOT SHOT!!!!

egg

beer.

The real trick is to open 2 beers aboot 4 hours before you make the batter. Set one beer aside to get warm and flat and drink the other. I've found the brand of beer makes a difference also. I like to use a good "Beery" tasting beer like Pabst or Grain Belt. The colored water ishy beers like Miller Lite, Bud, Mich Golden, etc don't add much flava.

Mike, I am not a beer batter person per say. Want you to try this out and let me know how you like your walleye this way. Very simple, Fryin magic (blue box) put in a plastic bag. BUTTER CRISCO in a skillet. Just put the walleyes fillets in the bag with the fryin magic. Coat them good and shake off excess. Heat up BUTTER CRISCO in a skillet. (Do not put so much crisco in that it submerges the fillets. Cook to golden brown on each side. Put cooked fillets on papernapkin on a plate and enjoy. We have cooked our fish this way for many years and the only way we do it now. Another great thing to do is cut up onion in slices and when your fish are cooking and you have room add the onions to the butter crisco and brown. That will make you take back things you never even stole. Let me know how you like the recipe.

wall_eye_assasin

I have actually used a slight variation to this. Butter Crisco has been my key ingrediant for years. Now I am getting a little partial to peanut oil.

My wife and I have been eating quite abit of fish this winter and we are always looking for new ways to fix it.

mw

You rang?

1 cup flour

1 tsp baking powder

3 tsp salt

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

3 tbsp dill pickle juice

Mix this up.

Open a beer and pour about 1/4 of it in. Darker beer is MUCH better. I can't stress how much better it tastes with a thick amber, red, or brown ale. Stay away from a stout though, I find they're too bitter. Add more beer if neccessary until batter is about the consistency of runny pancake batter. Usually ends up being not quite a half beer in the batter. You want the batter to run off but be thick enough to leave a thin layer on the food.

I usually fry the veggies first (broccoli, onion rings, mushrooms, green pepper slices). Then move on to the fish. Makes a light, flaky, crunchy batter that is done once it's golden brown.

I use McCormicks Beer Batter.add some pepper & beer & your ready for some mighty good fish!Make sure you dry the fish good with paper towel before you put it in the batter! Also try some onion rings in the batter MMMMM!!Dont let the onions set to long in the batter it will make it to thin! wink.gif

Try rice flour instead of regular flour.

I saw Bobby Flay use it in a throwdown. He said he liked it because it was lighter.

It's really great.

Just use one of the above posted recipes and substitute rice flour.

I just use 1 C. rice flour with 1 tsp. salt and 3/4 tsp. pepper. Thin with beer or Flay used club soda.

Mmmmm.....

the dry ingredients in the batter can be altered in many ways and still come out with a tasty product.....

3 parts AP flour

2 parts corn flour

1/2 part corn meal

1/2 part cajun seasoning (i like tony cacheras' creole seasoning)

crucial are a type of oil with flavor-- corn, canola, crisco, peanut all work..... just don't use straight vegetable oil....

the other key, as many have mentioned, is to use warm, flat beer...... pour it out in a mug or bowl, let it sit for a few hours, then stir it till it doesn't bubble anymore..... i'm partial to grain belt, and i wouldn't go lighter, though i'm sure darker ones would add some more flavor....... add till batter is consistency of pancake batter......

i've made this with more or less of all the dry ingredients and it always tastes good-- more AP flour makes it ultra light, but you lose flavor..... all corn flour and it almost becomes too crunchy-- same with the cornmeal.....

to cook:

put in enough oil or crisco to float the fillets or fingers...... heat oil till spits immediately (i don't have a frying thermometer and you don't really need one- just get it really hot, med-high on yer stove should do fine)

rinse fish or have in a bowl of water..... then dip fish in straight up AP flour....

then transfer to batter and coat evenly, letting excess drip off for a second or two.....

toss in oil and yer done in a minute or two.....

one other note-- corn flour can sometimes be tough to locate... if you can't find it, just check the ingredients on yer normal fish fry mix-- alot of them are straight corn flour-- substitute that instead.....