• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip-Up Leader

walleye_dog

O.K. guy's, what is the best flourocarbon leader everyones using on tip-ups. Heading to Lil-Bay-DNoc in a couple of weeks and need a good clear water setup. Been using Berk. Vanish in the 8&10# range but just wanted to see if anyone is really impressed with something else.

Here's what I've been doing, I'm sure it's not an original idea but if I claim it first I get the credit grin.gif I use a cross-lock snap-swivel that I separate. The snap portion is hooked to the dacron for the tip-up. The barrel swivel becomes the top of my leader. I tie a snell with 10lb vanish about 3 ft long for walleyes. I have multiple hook styles,colors,sizes in my tip-up takle box. I can swap as quick as I please. I can also change to pike fishing by taking the snell off and adding a quick-strike rig. I've landed a few pike on the 10lb Vanish but that may be more luck than skill. There ya go, that's what I do and I've been real happy with it so far

I do something similar. I leave a barrel swivel on the end of my dacron and I put snap lock on the ends of my leaders. I tried Vanish when I first started and was not too impressed. I switched to Seaguar leader material about 4 years ago and have been very happy with it. I use 50# for pike and 15# for walleye. You can get away with lighter line for walleyes, but I have a lot of pike around when I'm eye fishing and it's nice to be able to land a few. wink.gif