• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Holes Shrunk ?

broken line

Spent the weekend at URL, and only our second time using new wheel house. It was cold at night (plenty below zero), and the next morning, our holes had shrunk in diameter from 8" to 4-5 inches. The tops of the holes, however, did not freeze or skim. Did we miss something setting up or does bitter cold just cause this....I've never had it happen to that extent before.

The same thing happened to me on Mille Lacs. I remember that they shrunk but I don't recall them shrinking so fast. It was cold but that is what happens when we have a lot of cold and no snow. I thought Air Plugs may be the answer but that will be another fishing season.

Welcome to the reality of ice fishing. smile.gif

Its a different game up north where the winter is actually real. Holes skim over, shrink, and freeze shut with regularity. Propane tanks & lines freeze up and heaters quit working. Batteries go dead and vehicles don't start.

Be prepared when spending the weekend up north and bring back ups for everything. When you wake up at 3am and your heater stopped working with -20 air temps outside, its not fun. No where to go for help either when you are 7 miles out on URL.

Isn't ice fishing fun? wink.gif