• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Battery question - Cordless tools

yellowsubmarine

I used to work construction full time and used my tools on a daily basis. I switched back to weekend warrior status a few years ago and have limped by on my old tools a little too long now. I need to replace my cordless drill. I'm very impressed with the Rigid model. Before I spend a bunch of money on a good cordless I want to know if it will hurt it to only use them occasionally. Should the batteries be charged after every use? Is it OK to leave them sit with half a charge? I'm wondering if maybe I should go back to using a corded model since most of the work I'll be doing is in my shop. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Quote:

I used to work construction full time and used my tools on a daily basis. I switched back to weekend warrior status a few years ago and have limped by on my old tools a little too long now. I need to replace my cordless drill. I'm very impressed with the Rigid model. Before I spend a bunch of money on a good cordless I want to know if it will hurt it to only use them occasionally. Should the batteries be charged after every use? Is it OK to leave them sit with half a charge? I'm wondering if maybe I should go back to using a corded model since most of the work I'll be doing is in my shop. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Rigid's are good for the weekend warrior, Couple optios if you are going cordless. LiOn or NiCd batteries. LiOn doesn't need to be kept charged while not being used over long periods. NiCd on the other hand should be just in case. You don't want to discharge those cells to deeply. And they naturally discharge when stored. If you are looking for a top of the line 18V, I would get the Milwaukee V18. It has 2 LiOn batteries that have a fuel gauge and a 5 year 2000 charge warranty. The unit is lighter than the previous 18V NiCd's and has a 50% longer runtime. You can pick up one of these for about $300. The drill itself has a 5 year warranty also.

Nate

Not sure if they still have them but I got a Ridgid 24v li-on combo set fro the Home depot for $317.

It has the drill, sawzall, circle saw and flashlight and also a carry bag. I think it is an outstanding buy for the weekend warrior.

Oh and I also got a lifetime service warranty and lifetime battery replacement grin.gif

I'd stay with the 110 V. I to worked Const.My Porter Cable cost like 189.00 Worked great when working every day not that I used it every day.After it sat only used here & there Batteries always low then Died replaced them. ones no good so ya need 2 at 60.00 each 120.00 for two seldom used I wish I would have thought more about it! could have got a different TOY.Seein I've got 2 110 V.drill motors.