• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

another spear question?

Gordie

do you guys leave your live decoy in the hole when you leave the house? up and not down in the lake I hope you get what I mean. Is it leagle my bro-inlaw does this and says that not only does it keep the hole open longr but it also adds more life to the decoy. thanks for any info..

I think i know what your talking about elwood.

When i usally go out, i am in a portable fish house. But i understand what your talking about

When I take a trip up to Cass Lake, or to Winne or Alex, we are up there for 5-10 days. When i have my house there, i dont move it alot. It will sit on the same hole for 2-3 days, maybe even the whole time. When i am in this situation, i will reel my decoys up to the point that i have my fake decoy out of the water, but my live decoy in about 2 feet. Where its still not below the ice. This way when the live decoy is swimming at night. The hole will not freeze over becuase the live decoy will keep the hole open. So when you go out in the morning, you will not have to cut the hole open again, or chizzel that baby open. Hope this information help, and if you have any other questions, just ask.

Good Fishing

Bass and spear and dinner pail thats excactly what I mean. thanks for your input Im going to move my spear shack and try this this week or in the up coming weekend.

one other quick question being that bullheads are leagle bait have you guys tried these I use then for catfish and was thnking that they might work as a decoy. A dnr bioligst told me that pike and muskeys eat bullies in the spring and summer so the thought was their.

BNS I would probly save some from catfishing next year or check with my bait dealer to get some I know that they are tough to catch in the winter but on the lake I spear a lot of guys are catching big bullies thur the ice and I know that cause they leave them on the ice. I hate that.

I agree totally the sad thing about it is it will keep happening and if I see who doing it dnr will get involved.

earlier this year I saw about a 4lb northern that someone left out on the ice to leave rot. That really [PoorWordUsage]es me off thats blatetant disreguard of wildlife.

My friend and I keep the decoy minnows in a 5 gallon pail also. The pail has a lid with some holes punched in it to allow the water to come in. You put the decoy minnows and whatever other minnows in the pail, put the lid on and sink it down the hole. There is a rope tied to the handle that hangs on a hook just above the floor. You hang the rope on the hook and let the pail hang down the spear hole. The decoys are protected, kept fresh, and if the game warden should show up there is no question about what we are doing. Works good for us.