• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter Lodge

CaptSpike

Well I finally got to use the new Otter Lodge for the first time. Pulled pretty easy on bare ice (wouldn't want to pull by hand on anything with snow though. I have it modded out with lights, a built in divider, and the insulated roof. I discovered some things I didn't like about the flip over style sled when I first used it and figured I post the issues here and see how you guys deal with them.

1st: I load the shack with gear, the seats are in place, fold down the shack and the canvas lays over the top of all I loaded. Problem was when I got out on the pond fishing I had to set up the shack in order to access everything I had packed into it. I was hoping I could drag it to where I wanted to start fishing, put out the traps and then set it up. This was not the case. Then I discovered I could just flip it back and pull it along without any problems to the next spot. I was wondering if I took out the roof insulation would that allow more access to whats in the shack? I guess I'm still trying to get used to the set up. When we get thick enuf ice to use the 4wheeler I can store most of the stuff I need right away in the 4wheeler and then set up the shack later.

Wondering how most of you do it? I guess if I'm just lake trout fishing or just jigging it wont be a problem since I'd want it set up first. But when trap fishing and using a vew to check depth and a camera to check what the bottom looks like it was a pain getting to all that with the cover down and seats in place.

Is there an easier way?

Thanks,

Spike

I don't have a lodge but I do have a cottage. Once I'm on the lake, I extend the poles and then fold it back down. Mskes access easier to my equipment. It would pose a problem though if I'm towing it with snow on the ice because my cover won't fit on it with the poles extended--it would catch a lot of snow/slush.

I have Cabin, so smaller. But I saw the same thing too, at first. Then I found that when I put the shack down I just push the canvas OUT or BACK as it is collapsing, and that makes it so that I have complete access to everything when it is donw. If you have extra material for roof, this might be tougher, but I think you should still be able to do it.

If you fold up the canvas neatly, you can sit on your seats and still get at your gear. I always do what you are talking about without very much problem. Yes, I do have the Lodge. I have all my gear just laying on the bottom of the sled. I also lay the gear most used towards the sitting side of the sled. If some gear is towards the back of the sled, then you may run into a little problem.