• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New digital camera suggestions?

Okay folks, heres the situation. Five years ago I sold $10K in Nikon gear when I retired. I have been using a little SONY DSC-S85-which is a great little P&S for me.BUT....shutter lag drives me NUTZ! I don't want to get back into photography to the extent I was for a long time, but is there a reasonably priced digital, with interchangagle lenses etc. that is quick. I am NOT going to spend a grand for it and in fact, would probably head for hsolist to look for something used. I found an Nikon EM at a garage sale for $5 with a 55 macro and having been having a ball with it. Man, I had forgotten that you had to be a REAL man to lug those old ones around! I probably couldn't pick up old Rollei now. HA! Thanks for any thoughts.

now that the new canon rebel XTI 10 mp is out,i have seen some real good deals on rebel xt's [8mp] and good old eos rebels. that is, unless you are just considering cameras with the "N" word. grin.gif

either way, there are some pro guys on here that will respond to help.

why did you sell all your stuff? were you in Vegas? grin.gif

Sold it because I was quitting to sit on my lake and fish...no more chasing around after pix. Was not ready for digital back when it started, but now it has evolved to the point where I can live with it and use it for what I need. I am open to Canon but must confess to being so accustomed to the Nikon way that I might find it hard to change my evil ways. I know that when I quit Canon was giving the F4S and other Nikon stuff, including some great lenses, a real run for the money. Thanks. Any ideas from you folks will save me time poring over reviews, brochures etc. I am leaning toward the D50 but will wait until it is discontinued!

There are some differences, certainly between Canon and Nikon digital, and some of those are differences that make people pursue each other around the mulberry bush in a neverending game, but the fact is that each will produce excellent images.

The 8 Mp Canon Rebel XT is selling new now for under $500. If you prefer to stay with Nikon because you're used to the camera control conventions, you're looking at the new D40, the D50 and D70s, all around $500 to $600. All those Nikon entry level offerings are 6 Mp. I wouldn't get too caught up in how much better 8 Mp is than 6. You're really talking about the difference in enlargement capability, and there's not much of a boost from 6 to 8.

I've taken jpegs from a 6 Mp Canon shot at iso800 and made beautiful prints up to 13x19, and I've taken RAW images from the 6 and 8 Mp cameras and gone to 20x30.

So I'd say use what you're comfortable with. Best bet is to go to a store that has both lines and check out the models listed above to see which feels best in your hands and which controls you like best.

thanks. on further info i found,i think what i will do is give him my 20d w/18-55 lens. i just found out canon is doubling the rebates if you buy 2 new qualifying items. i was going to buy a 17-85 IS anyway,and it seems now is a good time to get a 30d. with the double rebate,a 30d is $950! how can i pass it up? the lens will only be around $425. used 17-85 i/s lenses are selling for that on hsolist! there is talk about the 30d being discontinued and thats why the rebates are being extended,but i guess i don't care,by the time i get it mastered, they will have the 80d out! grin.gif

it will be great to see his face when i give it to him. although,i'm not sure i want to see my wife's face. she will be all smiles,but then she will look over at me with this face> confused.gif and say "but what are you gonna use for a camera now?" upon which i will present this face> smirk.gif finally ending with her uttering our lord's full name while wearing this face> mad.gif

thank you all for getting me hooked.[i think]

Well, sheesh, MM, as long as you're in the mood, I have a birthday coming up too. Well, next December, but that just gives you time to SAVE! grin.gif

Kidding, bubba, kidding. There will be a lot of interesting facial expressions in that house when you give him the present. smirk.gif